help, rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 01:27 PM
ftanguay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post help, rebuilding

I'm in a middle of a rebuilding.

I have to change the manifold gasket and the valves seals... will it be wise to change the timing belt and the head gasket?

PS: the head is still in place for now!
Old 03-05-2003, 03:50 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well if your taking the manifold off I would recommend doing all the vacuum lines under there...They will need it...Also I would do the belts, seals on the front end and and water pump "while you are there"..

What problems do you have, if any, with the engine...Any white smoke upon start up, etc???
Old 03-06-2003, 03:06 AM
ftanguay
Racer

oil smoke at start, and a leak (big) in the manifold gasket.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:53 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you done a compression test and leakdown test...Those diagnostic tools are the best way to determine whether your headgasket is at fault...

What colour is the "oil smoke" when you start your car...This leak, is it the intake manifold or exhaust???...How is your oil...Is there any mixing of coolant and oil???...Does it look like a chocolate milkshake...

These things are not terminal and can be fixed...Do you do your own work???
Old 03-06-2003, 08:09 PM
blurry951
Instructor

Coming out of the manifold. It could be coming from your crank case breather into the front of your turbo and then into your intake track. This can be caused by a bad o-ring in the oil filter housing or a blown out head gasket, check both if your curious, but do the o-ring first, its easier. Best of luck.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:18 AM
ftanguay
Racer

The smoke is black and coming from the manifold ans exhaust. And it's mostly at startup. No coolant in oil but burn a lot of oil (1 litre every 300 KM).

I do my own work (pass time).

Tanks for the advice, I check the crank cas breather...

The head gasket is probaly good but I just wander if it be worthy to change it while I'm neer?
Old 03-07-2003, 02:27 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by blurry951:
<strong>It could be coming from your crank case breather into the front of your turbo and then into your intake track. This can be caused by a bad o-ring in the oil filter housing or a blown out head gasket, check both if your curious, but do the o-ring first, its easier.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Serious? You can get oil into the intake from a bad o-ring in the oil filter housing?

Quick Reply: help, rebuilding