Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TEC Garrett Turbo... Who's Dunnit, Why & How Hard was the Install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 09:20 PM
951Racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little off subject but Dave mentioned them. You gotta go with those CCWheels! You simply cannot beat the price and they absolutely compare with what anyone else has. A little heavier but stronger. I run them for my track car.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:34 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Ken, you know, I am glad you reminded me. It has been a good nine months since I had talked to any vendors about doing my engine. You have made it very clear that I need to re-research

I need to figure out what order I want to do things in, and then start the process.

I will have to give Anderson a call.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-04-2002, 10:02 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Dave,
I think Garrity is not an option. He's finishing up his current projects, then he's closing up shop.

Here's a quote from him on aother board..
------------------------------------------------
Thanks everyone for the business over the years. I have truly appreciated it. As you may have heard from Rob Langley, I am shutting down my business in order to pursue other interests. I have wanted to go to medical school for some time now and the opportunity looks good now. As far as my business goes, I just couldn't do all the work by myself and my lousy delivery time demonstrated this fact. I did try to stand behind my products better than anyone else I know. I made a deal with another company to buy my inventory and help them out on a part time basis and be an employee of theirs. The projects that I have yet to finish will be finished as promised for the prices as promised. I am taking no more service work in order to finish these projects. That was one of the problems. My service business was pretty big. Consider that I did service, parts, manufacturing, machine work and building all myself. I was never a good manager and that I do recognize as a fault. I am always willing to anser questions for free, so please feel free to email me.

Thanks and I appreciate all the good years,

Garrity
-----------------------------------------

My own recomendations would be to stay as local as you can. You want to be able to drive or tow the car back to the shop if you have problems.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:11 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Well crap, looks like I waited too late. I was going to have him do it in December of 2001, but I got too busy to take the engine out and ship it to him. Looks like my options are diminishing. I took some pics of my engine bay (and the PVC mess that ensues). I will post them here tonight to give everyone a good laugh.

Dave
Old 06-04-2002, 10:35 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF I can do it, any one can........
Old 06-04-2002, 10:40 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

If I buy a new bigger turbo, do I have to modify the housing for the coolant pipe no matter what turbo I buy? or is it just for this turbo?
Old 06-04-2002, 11:35 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SFR grinds away a section of their Turbonetics turbos' comp. housing for you, and they even include a "shaved" bolt so you can clock the comp housing and not get caught on the alternator.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:43 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I ground away a few mm ( 2-3) from the edge of the alternator casing where the intake plumbing rests on top of the alternator. It makes for a straighter approach to the turbo. The section of silicone between the MAF tuing and the turbo intake accomodates the slight angle which results.

Wayne.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:51 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave,

Your turbo sounds nice, but I'm completely clueless. Who is Jason at Tec? Do they have a website?

Russ, let us know how the -46 works out.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 06-05-2002, 12:58 AM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Rob- Jason E is the guy to talk to for our cars at TEC.

TEC is Turbo Engineering Corp. in Golden Colorado. They are a factory authorized company for parts and service on Garrett, KKK, Schwitzer, Mitsu, and a couple others.

Phone is 303.271.3997

At the time I bought mine, they were beginning a website, but is wasn't up yet. I can check on that. I believe the T04E-46 is what Erick Wolf had, but I am not certain.

Looks like the website is <a href="http://www.turboengineering.com" target="_blank">TEC's website</a>

Hope this helps,
Dave
Old 06-05-2002, 02:16 AM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Okay, as promised, here are my humorous picture of the car's current state. Bandaids are a great analogy.

In the first, you see my makeshift intake. It consists of a 4" 90 degree PVC elbow, cut in half to make it 45 degrees. Also, it is connected to the AFM using a toilet rubber fitting.

The next shows my modification to the stock recirculating valve, which now vents to atmosphere. To keep it from opening during idle's vacuum, I took it apart, made the spring stiffer by cutting more and more off of it, then adding spacers in the form of film canisters, cut up of course The plastic plates bolted together are to keep if held together and sealing tight (in place of glue)

The last show's my toilet reducer connecting the AFM to the turbo's bigger inlet. Not much of a story here. Surprisingly, it it holding up to the temps well.

I hope this brightens up everyone's day.

Dave
Old 06-05-2002, 06:27 PM
Doc
Racer

SATX... Do you recall the size of the fitting, i.e. thread pitch and diameter. (Length wouldn't hurt either.)

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2002, 06:38 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[quote] SATX... Do you recall the size of the fitting, i.e. thread pitch and diameter. (Length wouldn't hurt either. <hr></blockquote>

hehe, I had a feeling that question would come up. The answer is no I am afraid, I did not measure it, sorry. But if you take the banjo bolt that goes through the coolant fitting and go to a hardware store or an auto parts store you should be able to find the matching brass threaded piece and joiner. I seem to recall that the banjo bolt was metric and the threaded part of the turbo is imperial but they happen to be a close enough fit to work. I paid particular attention to thread sealing just to be sure.

EDIT --&gt; I just measured an old coolant banjo bolt and it is 15.8mm across the threads (M16 I guess), so that prolly equates to an imperial fitting, I guess thats pretty close to 5/8 (15.875).

Wayne
Old 06-06-2002, 01:45 AM
Doc
Racer

Once again Wayne.. THANKS!
Old 06-06-2002, 01:51 AM
Doc
Racer

Angry

I have a feeling I'll be making a FEW trips to the hardware store during the rebuild.

Quick Reply: TEC Garrett Turbo... Who's Dunnit, Why & How Hard was the Install?