Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

U-Haul or Penske trailers + lowered 951?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:13 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I had to remove my V1 splitter to mount my car forwards.
I've got the same. Backwards it is.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:16 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

BS, it does get stuck even if the car is not lowered, you need the woods up front. The batwing and fron bumper when pulling out will be damaged, unless you reverse the car into the trailer
Attached Images    
Old 11-28-2011, 01:38 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No advice here, but let us know when you get here. The Mar/Va crew is always around and looking to wrench or check out another 951
Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

A picture's worth a thousand words -- thanks Lart. With those wheel net tie down thingies, is there any reason why they couldn't be used if I put the car on backwards?

And thanks for the offer, Doug -- I'll definitely hit you up on that. I'm really looking forward to the move. My g/f lives in Fairfax and my job gives me a little more flexibility to move than hers does. It looks like the PCA crowd is awesome in NOVA/S.MD. I'm originally from AZ where the PCA is fantastic, but when I moved to MA I was a bit disappointed -- and they have two groups to choose from (NER and NCR)!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:00 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
A picture's worth a thousand words -- thanks Lart. With those wheel net tie down thingies, is there any reason why they couldn't be used if I put the car on backwards?

And thanks for the offer, Doug -- I'll definitely hit you up on that. I'm really looking forward to the move. My g/f lives in Fairfax and my job gives me a little more flexibility to move than hers does. It looks like the PCA crowd is awesome in NOVA/S.MD. I'm originally from AZ where the PCA is fantastic, but when I moved to MA I was a bit disappointed -- and they have two groups to choose from (NER and NCR)!
Doug, JoKa and I are all part of the Chesapeake Region. A bit more laid back and they have more events besides just DEs and autox. When are you moving here?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ramius665
Doug, JoKa and I are all part of the Chesapeake Region. A bit more laid back and they have more events besides just DEs and autox. When are you moving here?

Friday! What kind of "more events" do you refer to? Driving events are the primary reason I joined the PCA, and since I find autox exceedingly boring (hee hee), I was very curious what y'all do out in the area for driving events.

One cool thing the Arizona regions do is "continuous loop" autoxes (rather than run-based autox). They're technically compete-against-the-clock events but allow you to run in ~20min sessions with continuous lapping. Those are great!
Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Alright y'all I made it to NOVA/DC area!

The good: turns out U-Haul trucks are really easy to drive, even with a trailer. Ran into zero problems on the way down (other than the fact that Philly drivers are insane).

The bad: either I got a crap trailer or my car is lower than we thought. Had a helluva time loading the car -- we nearly doubled the ramp length and, after we FINALLY got it on, the front splitter wouldn't clear by ~3" -- and that's sitting on a 2x12.

So, we flipped the car around but then the nose couldn't clear. So I did the unthinkable: jacked the trailer up, disconnected from the truck and left the safety chains attached. Then loaded the car on backwards.

Unloading was much easier, as I was more able to search for better ground contour that would lend itself more easily to a flatter egress...
Old 12-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn I knew I forgot something. yea jacking the trailer up can do it. you can leave it attached to the truck...or so I have heard...

Quick Reply: U-Haul or Penske trailers + lowered 951?