HELP!! Installing oil pump!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 11:51 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Unhappy HELP!! Installing oil pump!!!

We installed the piston rings and dropped the pistons into the cylinders last night. Replaced the bearings, used a lot of assembly lube, etc…
One thing that is troubling me is that we were unable to fully align the crankshaft casting with the block at the area where the oil pump goes. It does not pass the “nail” test. Before thigthening any of the nuts I hit it with a rubber mallet to get it to move back with no luck. We torque the nuts and bolts… I was still not comfortable with the situation so we un-tighten the bolts and nuts again and tried to move it again using the mallet… no luck… there is still small step / misalignment between the two and I am afraid the oil pump will not seat correctly… The oil pump has no gasket to compensate for this. All that it is required between the pump and the block is more of that Loctite 574.

HELP!!!! Should I pull it apart and start again???
Old 08-08-2002, 01:49 PM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaime -

Hate to say it - but YES.

You need the cradle and the block to be PERFECTLY flat and smooth for the oil pump. Loctite 574 will fill gaps up to about .1 mm, or thereabouts.

Remove the cradle again, and do one of two thigns.

1) Freeze the cradle overnight in the bottom fo the freezer, and then REALLY FAST coat it as needed with loctite 574 and get it into place. As it expands you'll be able to tighten the thing down so that there's no gap.

2) Do as Porsche says, and take an oil-stone to it to flatten it out.

Either way, the cradle has to come off.

Sorry.

HTH!

Quick Reply: HELP!! Installing oil pump!!!