Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine fire, insurance totalling it, now what??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 11:49 PM
My944Turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Engine fire, insurance totalling it, now what??

Sorry if this is posted twice, but I lost the other post.
Hey people,
I had a engine fire awhile back and had many problems with posting pictures and whatnot.
But anyway back to my story, I sent my insurance adjuster 5 pages of parts with prices that I needed that with labor totalled $7,400. Without fixing the hood and the hood insulation. He called me back and told me they were totalling my car. He said that I should get a call on Friday from another guy who is going to talk with me about my car. Now having a friend who had her car stolen and seeing her get $8,000 for a car that would cost her $10-12,000 to buy in the market makes me nervous. So I thought I would head the insurance agent off at the pass and show up with a bunch of values that shoes my car is worth more than $6,000. So I just sent for a generic PCA evaluation and I thought I would ask if any of you had other suggestions. Oh and he already knows that I am going to keep the car, aka buy it back for the salvage value. If anybody has been through this I would appreciate the help.
Thanks for the help.
Patrick
The car has 118k miles on it, perfect back paint on the outside, beautiful 17" factory chrome C2 turbo wheels, alluminum/painted interior with white gauge faces and all in all a nice car. Factory leather sports seats, 4 way power with heat, adjutable konis all around. Anyways you get the idea.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:58 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Depending on who your insurance co is, I've had occasional success with the "OK, well, then go replace mine" tactic. Some might actually try, many blow it off, but it never hurts. Also, don't let them give you any crap about Blue Book Value, Black Book Value, Gals, or whatever depending on where you live, as all of that is just representative of what dealers buy at auction, sell at auction, or sell to retail customers (and obviously dealers don't get 944 turbos in nice shape).

Having an appraisal done is one of the best things you can do.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:53 PM
951carter
Racer

They are going to try to lowball.....it's their job. You are going to have to fight with them to get the actual value. The CPI(cars of particular interest) black book lists it for $9k - $13.5k depending on condition. You should take some prices from Excellence for sale ads(not the market value!!) and ads from the rennlist classifieds. I have known this to work for a few people.

IMO, the Kelly books are inaccurate because they do not typically sell in the surveyed marketplace(as previously mentioned) and Bruce's market reports are inaccurate because people only want to write in to him when they get an exceptionally good deal, with 944's anyway.

And i would tell him that you are "considering" the buyback, or they will stick it to you.

Quick Reply: Engine fire, insurance totalling it, now what??