Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 12:16 AM
ossie
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Starting

I am having a starting problem. I no longer think it is the alternator. I start the car from cold!! It runs fine. I shut it down than go to restart and it takes hours before it will restart. It is turning over and showing good ratings on the incar volt meter. I read something about a DME Sensor could this be it and if so what is it and where is it? Also is it an easy fix.
Old 09-10-2001, 12:18 AM
ossie
AutoX

I also have oil in my coolant, I need to replace the seals on my oil cooler. could this be causing this problem?
Old 09-11-2001, 04:32 PM
Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's definitely not the alternator or the battery if you can crank the motor as you describe.

As for "the DME sensor"...there are MANY sensors that the DME needs to work properly. I'm sure if some were bad, they would prevent the car from starting. Certainly the "reference" sensor (tells the DME when TDC or some equivalent is reached) must work properly.

Most, if not all the sensors can be tested individually if you follow the DME testing regimen in the factory manuals.

There can be several reasons why there is oil in the coolant. I don't think this would cause hard starting.

But, before you head off to the weeds, you should check the basics. Do you have spark when it doesn't start? Fuel?
Old 10-23-2001, 01:15 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ossie,

I realize this post is pretty old, but, b/c of the unfortunate Rennlist crash, it's up on the list. Anyway, can you roll start the car? If so, it could be the flywheel sensor. This has happened to me, and the fix worked for awhile- I believe I need a new flywheel. I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A NEW ONE WHEN I DID THE DAMN CLUTCH A YEAR AND A HALF AGO!!!

Good luck,
Robby
Old 01-22-2002, 12:56 AM
ossie
AutoX

Talking

It ended up being my DME Relay I bought a new one and replaced it!!

The car started right up

Quick Reply: Starting