Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing stock rear speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 02:11 AM
Beamz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Replacing stock rear speakers??

Anyone know what speakers will bolt straight in the rear speaker holes replacing my trebbly stock ones?? , and, if this Job is a hardy??
CHEERS!!
Old 11-03-2002, 05:09 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
What year your turbo is and whether it has the upgraded stereo option will make a difference.

Do a search on this site for more info on installation, and visit crutchfield.com for more info on specifically what will fit.

I've been using 4by6 blaupunks (this is probably the size you have)and they work ok if you feed them a clear signal.
Ahmet
Old 11-03-2002, 07:08 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

There's a sterio FAQ link burried in the archives of the main forum.... It gives good information for all years other than 86 (which, of course, is the year I own.. heh). The 87+ cars have 4.5" in the rear, but they're bolted to a plate that you can remove (unscrew) and there's room for a 4x6 (that's less than 2" tall) with a bracket.... I think from a Subaru (someone made a template and sent it to Crutchfield - who got the correct bracket).

I'v been procrastonating pulling everything apart to see what's in my car (lol, it sounds like tin-foil and a weak magnet). From the posts I've read, it's not really Hard - but there are some tricks and it helps to have someone handy who's done it before. There's still a debate out on wether the window needs to be removed.

Best of luck....
Old 11-03-2002, 07:11 PM
Beamz
Instructor

Thanks for your replies! i have an 86 model so i will search the archives for that.
CHEERS!
Old 11-03-2002, 07:34 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

There is no additional plate in the '86 model. 4 x 6 speakers bolt directly to the body.

For the rear of my '86 951 I went with MBQuart 4x6 speakers. These speakers are quite deep which gives them fairly impressive low end response for their size. They won't fit in the front, but they fit perfectly in the back.

The model number is DKD 146. They are $79.00 US from onlinecarstereo.com.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:24 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's good to hear Steve.... I've been fighting over what brand of speaker to go with.. it's been a decade since I was really into music/gear so I've lost touch. Polk and Boston Acoustics used to be the speakers of choice for the informed listener - are MB Quarts now top dog? (I'm one who likes elivated levels sometimes - but NOT all bass... give me the mids.) I also seem to listen to all music types (on a 'remixed classical' kick right now - check out the group called 'Bond' to see what I mean).

Cheers....
Old 11-04-2002, 09:36 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

I doubt that MBQuart's are the top dog, but I think they are fairly good speakers. They do seem to be the best stock choice for this application. When it comes to low frequency, size is one of the most significant factors, and since you can't go taller/wider than 4 x 6, you need to go deeper.

That said, the bass would best be described as adequate or impressive, definitely NOT approaching overwhelming. It simply serves to suppress any latent urges I may have to install a separate subwoofer and amplifier.

Quick Reply: Replacing stock rear speakers??