Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost problem!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 02:48 AM
JJ951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Boost problem!?!?!

I got the car to the mech. today he wanted to check the belt tension to see if it was a good belt(it was free) The car isnt up for retensioning for another 800 miles i have the appointment already scheduled for june 17. I picked the car up tonight and it felt slower. I nailed the throttle and noticed that it is only hitting 5psi. What could have caused this. I know that the mechanic didn't adjust the reliaboost. It goes to about 5 psi then it backs off in the upper rpms. It hits boost a lot slower now too.

Thanx in advance for any help.

-John
-John
Old 06-04-2003, 09:55 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
John,

There is an installation and adjustment procedure given on the Boost Sciences Web site. Go to <a href="http://www.boostsciences.com/ReliaBoost1.pdf" target="_blank">Reliaboost installation</a>
Old 06-04-2003, 05:53 PM
JJ951
Racer

I changed the title so here is a little bump
Old 06-06-2003, 02:10 AM
JJ951
Racer

one more little bump, if i can't figure it out i will have the mech look at it since it stopped hitting 15 psi after he checked the tension

-John
Old 06-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you check all the hoses and lines around the airbox and the intake? The mechanic must have removed the airbox to look at the belt.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:35 PM
JJ951
Racer

I couldn't find any hoses or lines that were loose or not connected. I took the air box off and still cannot find the problem. I will just wait till i take it back for retensioning. It is next tuesday(june 17th). I cAn't use all the boost now anyway with all the rain. I am getting great gass mileage while running 5psi. My Dad says to turn the car on and pop the hood, then listen for any hissing, and trace where i hear it from, does that sound right?

thanx

-John
Old 06-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing you can test is to remove the line from the ReliaBoost to the wastegate. Do several gentle runs with increasing throttle each time. See what boost-level you get.

Sounds like perhaps you might have something clogged inside your ReliaBoost that's keeping the valve open? I've seen hose-fragments get lodged in there before.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:29 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

your dad's right, look for vac. leaks. hardest part is under the intake manifold, it gets hot under there causing hoses to fail easier - i had the hose to my wastegate fail, before i had a non-factory boost gauge... so i thought peaking at 2bar (1+atmos) was ok cuz of the prev.owner's chips, LBE, etc - turns out it was 23-25psi, burned a valve, ouch. anyway, i'd get a boost/vac gauge, easy as heck to install yourself, good insurance, see what it's reading, i believe you should be shooting for like 17-18 inches of hg vac, and approx 12-13 maybe 15psi (donno how the reliaboot works, but i think it's like an lbe right?). it's also possible that you've got a clog in the line going to the KLR, or something? I donno, but i think 5ish psi is where the factory wastegate spring will open w/o a vac. signal to keep it closed, someone help me out on this, something to do w/ the cycling valve, maybe that's failed?
Old 06-09-2003, 03:28 AM
JJ951
Racer

I have an after market boost gauge. it shows 5 psi. i deff think it is a vac leak or something clogged in the relia boost. it worked fine when i dropped it off. I think he may have bumped a vac line off. i can;t find any, but before i dropped it off it would hit 15 psi all day. i will take it back to him at 1500 miles for a timing belt rension and ask if he can find it. Tomorrow i am going to listen for hissing. and check the relia boost. Thanx everyone.

-John
Old 06-09-2003, 02:49 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

JJ please let us know what you find, I have the same problem.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:52 AM
JJ951
Racer

I was able to figure it out. i took it to the mech. since the problem started there. we listened to the noise then he took out his handy stethascope(not sure how to spell it), he noticed what i noticed(i thought nothing of it ahead of time) there were some black fluid looking spots on the turbo itself. guess what that was. no it wasn't an oil stain, it was melted vac line. it is geting repaired on tuesday when the belts get retensioned. He is still not sure where it came from but he will be fixing it for me(i hope fro free since it started after he was in there. it might even be why i had that wierd sound before). Just thought i would share the update.

-John

Quick Reply: Boost problem!?!?!