Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VIDEO ADDED...Epic roads in North Texas? (...just follow zerMATT951!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:35 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIDEO ADDED...Epic roads in North Texas? (...just follow zerMATT951!)

Had one of the two best drives so far in my 951 yesterday. BTW, the other was SE Oklahoma-Mena-Eureka Spirngs-Branson.

My son and I met zerMATT951 and ryanm6100 Sunday morning SW of Ft. Worth in Burleson. We rolled out for a spirited drive on country roads near Granbury/Glen Rose/Stephenville and best of all Hico, Texas. I say best of all because I've been to the diner (The Koffee Kup before...and it is one of the best!). Think Chicken Fried steak, killer onion rings and the BEST pie ever!

The roads were ALL in excellent condition with no potholes or abrupt bridge transitions. He also has a ZX-14 street bike and knows the roads extemely well. Never once did he hesitate at a crossroad considering direction! he took us on a lot of tight turns one after another as well as open roads with long fast sweepers. The leaves were changing and there are lonely ranches, leaves blowing up, cactus and quaint small towns to slow roll through. Really epic roads in fact!...and minimal traffic to none for miles on end at some stretches.

All three cars performed flawless....for exactly 200 miles on the entire loop! Including our drive to meet the guys we totalled just over 300!

A few pics are included below and I'll try to move into this cenury by getting a YouTube account...my son shot some decent video.

props to Ryan as he was concerned about keeping up with less mods and a stock suspension...was a non issue for the most part.

Since the 951 community is fairly small and/or inactive here we were thinking about trying to get together with the Sharks/928's..they are organized and active.

Awesome, awesome time!

Cannot wait to do it again!!!
Attached Images           

Last edited by racerxrick; 11-16-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:48 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:52 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

couple screen shots from vids..
Attached Images      
Old 11-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like allot of fun .
Old 11-14-2011, 05:02 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

more screen shots
Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 AM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

Rick summarized it well!

Care to share with the group how long it took us to reach 200 miles?

Thanks again to both Matt and Rick for arranging, it was great to stretch my car's legs a bit for the first time. Still can't believe nothing is broken or leaking...

Oh, and this thread is useless without VIDEOS!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:21 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the post Rick, I'm glad that everyone had fun and that your son came along and was able to take some pictures! I had a blast too... I haven't been on those roads since spring when I still had my ZX-14, so I'm glad none of them were under construction .

The really cool thing about that part of Texas is that there are several good roads to choose from, and with minimal driveways or houses, there is less concern of traffic. You do have to keep your eyes open for deer, dogs, and the occasional tractor, but that's about it. I've been riding these roads for over 8 years now, and we've got more than a dozen different "routes" mapped out. We can do loops from 150-ish miles to well over 300 on a couple that go as far South as Gatesville. Plus, you can combine these roads with a few others heading into the Texas Hill Country and get all the way down to Kerrville in a relatively short day. Once you're close to Kerrville, the great roads start to multiply, but some of them have a bit of traffic because of the area's popularity with tourists.

We definitely need to do this again, and I'd be up for once every month or two. Surely we can get more of the 944 crowd to join us, and some 928's would be cool too. Heck, we might even let some of those rear-engine Porsche's come along too .
Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

^^ I agree and am all in for another bonzai run!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ryanm6100
Rick summarized it well!

Care to share with the group how long it took us to reach 200 miles?

Thanks again to both Matt and Rick for arranging, it was great to stretch my car's legs a bit for the first time. Still can't believe nothing is broken or leaking...

Oh, and this thread is useless without VIDEOS!

I will quote Ryan as saying "with stock suspension I'm using a lot more road than you guys"....

I remember one stretch (the one with the long fast sweepers) that Matt said would be about an hour. Hmmm, think that was more like 35 minutes

And I just moved into this century andf uploaded some vids to YouTube, now let's see if I can provide a proper link?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Know that area well, actually going down near there hunting in a couple of weeks. Not so spirited driving in he Chevy crew cab though. Next time pay attention when in the Koffee Kup. One of pals hunts outside town and tells me on Sat. and Sun. mornings Jewel and hubby ride their bikes in for breakfast. Maybe not now though since had a baby lately. Never know what you'll see in rural Texas.
Google Texas Monthly about a couple of years ago "Best Rural Cafes in Texas" issue. A lot of neat drives could be tied together hitting a few of those. Buzz me up next time you and Matt headed out. Working on the 951 again (really!) but see if I can keep up in the Cs for now.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Ryan, how's that headlight harness?

Wish I were home to join you guys!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:14 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Own Goal
Know that area well, actually going down near there hunting in a couple of weeks. Not so spirited driving in he Chevy crew cab though. Next time pay attention when in the Koffee Kup. One of pals hunts outside town and tells me on Sat. and Sun. mornings Jewel and hubby ride their bikes in for breakfast. Maybe not now though since had a baby lately. Never know what you'll see in rural Texas.
Google Texas Monthly about a couple of years ago "Best Rural Cafes in Texas" issue. A lot of neat drives could be tied together hitting a few of those. Buzz me up next time you and Matt headed out. Working on the 951 again (really!) but see if I can keep up in the Cs for now.
Great....glad your working on it!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:15 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Just a short one to see if i can figure out how to "embed"?

It was fun with the leaves all blowing up around us!

Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

It worked, it worked!

And just some smooth fun roads (Ryan was following). Oh, and the dip at the first of the video was fun

Another:

Old 11-16-2011, 12:31 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Matt "hittin" it:

Ryan's turn:

Quick Reply: VIDEO ADDED...Epic roads in North Texas? (...just follow zerMATT951!)