Burning oil? blue smoke from tail pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Burning oil? blue smoke from tail pipe

Hi,

I've been working on my new (to me) 951 race car. I changed the timing belt and all fluids/brakes/tires..etc to get her ready to take to the track.

She had been sitting for a while (few years) before I bought her, so I wanted to do all that before even driving her around the neighborhood. I finally got a chance and she is very smokey (blue smoke, so oil).

I drove her around for maybe 10 minutes hoping it was just gunk and buildup and would work itself out,but it didnt seem to. She smoked more under boost.

researching it seems that the two main possibilities are head gasket and turbo seals.

When I drained the engine oil, it looked like old dark engine oil to me, not chocolate milk. I also checked the oil after driving it around the neighborhood and it looked ok. so I would think that would rule out a head gasket.

I'm going to do a compression check on each cylinder to check the rings..etc

What I cant find a good resource for is the turbo seals. I dont see anything on clarks garage for that. Could someone point me to a thread, or tell me what I would need to buy/replace? I have a DE coming up in December and I really would like to take this new car.

any other possibilities for burning oil that im not thinking of?

Thanks
dj
Old 11-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what's the mileage? Any rebuild history? Could be a few other things too.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:53 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Look at the simple things first. Make sure you did not connect the crankcase vent to the IC pipe vs. to the J-boot or J-pipe.

If that's not the case, run a leakdown test and note the problem areas (intake valves, exh. valves or rings).

If the car is smoking at idle, check if you are getting blue smoke from the test tube (it connects to the X-over pipe, where the headers meet the X-over). If it's the engine, you will get blue smoke through there, if it's the turbo you should not get blue smoke from that area.

Hopefully it's something simple.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:12 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

engine was rebuilt ~1500 race miles ago 75k miles on the odo.

Car smokes at idle, but I have not looked underneath while running. Thanks, ill take a look.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:13 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

pulled my plugs and ran a compression test today.

brand new plugs, only used to drive around the block were coated in black soot. compression was:
2:120
4:110
3:92
1:120

yanked the hard pipe off leading to the throttle body/intake manifold. few drops of oil landed on my hand. Bit of standing oil in the pipe. Not sure exactly what "supposed to be coated" means, but this might be a bit much.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ehh... that kind of solves it doesn't it? Low compression on cylinder #3. Who did the rebuild?

Quick Reply: Burning oil? blue smoke from tail pipe