Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

No oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002 | 12:13 AM
boostaholic
Instructor

Post No oil pressure?

I have been scartching my head for the past 2 weeks and I am hoping I can get some fresh ideas. My problem is that I inconsistently loose oil pressure. I will be driving and suddenly my gauge will drop to zero yet the low oil pressure light doesn't come on. The only consistancies being that it only happens when the engine is hot after driving for a while and upon shutting it down and restarting 5 minutes later it seems fine. I played with the sender wires today, I was getting the gauge pegged no matter what. Driving afterwards it behaved normally except that towards the end of my ride it would read 2 bar at idle (it usually reads 3) despite today's cool temps. My questions are how do I test the sender? Do I get an aftermarket gauge? (autometer etc.) or am I checking the wrong thing to begin with? Thanks in advance for any ideas
Old 10-28-2002 | 07:47 AM
Pannan
Instructor

Hi,

Have you checked the oil-pump? Oil-cooler? Oil-level? etc.

I had a totally engine-breakdown a couple of months ago, and the only solution was to replace the engine with a new one. The cause of the damage was the pipe to the oil-cooler, it was bent 90 degrees. So the engine had no working oil-cooler the past two years.

//Johan
Old 10-28-2002 | 10:59 AM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

Boostaholic,

Try running a ground wire directly from the neg terminal on your block, to the engine...sounds more like an isue that would take care of. Jumping or irratic gauges are most always a sign of a bad ground.

Try this, let the engine get to temp, when it starts fluctuating, use a set of jumper cables to ground the block to the battery. Of course the car should be at idle in yor garage :-)

Take Care
Old 10-28-2002 | 09:03 PM
boostaholic
Instructor

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try that out and keep everyone posted.
Old 10-28-2002 | 09:55 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

had a problem with my sender i took it off of the car and cleaned it with brake cleaner. reinstalled and it now works fine.
Old 11-05-2002 | 02:18 AM
hybrid_944
Instructor

I removed the stock guages. so I just uesd an aftermarket piece. auto meter.

I used a male / female bolt from a 911 and it bolted right in.

Quick Reply: No oil pressure?