Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Brake pedal helps car lean out during idle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 11:37 AM
dlr944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Brake pedal helps car lean out during idle?

Ever since I installed my 3" Maf and Arc II, I've had to adjust the low setting **** up for fuel enrichment. Today like most days I turned up the low setting on the ARC 2 two clicks until the car was warmed up and then back down to 10 o'clock.

Normally at this setting the car idles rich and if you turn the low setting down any further the car stumbles off the line. One click makes it too rich or too lean.

Well today after some hard braking the A/F meter would deither back and fourth at idle. Hmm? Occasionally, the car will return back to a rich idle BUT AFTER pressing in the brake pedal several times the A/F meter will show a deithering condition.

So what does the braking system have to do with my idle A/F ratio? What should I investigate first? I've already replaced all the V-lines?
Old 01-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Jeremy Martin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the ONLY connection i can see is the brake booster draws a couple volts, thus requiring the alternator (and the engine in turn) to work... if you tap the brakes you'll see the voltimeter drop for a second
Old 01-03-2003, 12:53 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about the... um, venturi i think it's called? i beleive it's attached to the vac. booster from a hose that goes all the way from under the intake manifold. i just found this monstrosity when pulling my car apart, aparently from what i've been told / read, it helps the vac. assist on the brake/clutch system or something (considering, well, vac. assist wouldn't do much good if it was at positive pressure, i bet).

i could be totally wrong, anyone?

Quick Reply: Brake pedal helps car lean out during idle?