Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Weird Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Krebby
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Weird Clutch Problem

Okay, I know there are tons of clutch posts out there, but I'm a bit stuck on this one. A few weeks ago my clutch dropped to the floor out of the clear blue. I've never noticed a leak that would suggest a slave cylinder failure, but I went ahead and bled both the brakes and slave cylinder jut to make sure. I thought I'd solved the problem, but then the clutch started sticking halfway on the release. This has been just an intermittent problem, and every now and again it still sticks on the floorboard. Still no leak apparent. Also, I've noticed that thi happens less when the car has warmed up, though that may not have anything to do with it.

Any ideas? Do I try to bleed the system again? Is the clutch crapping out on me? Everything still shifts beautifully, so I'm guessing I don't need to do a full clutch job. Help is greatly appreciated, though.
Old 03-11-2002, 09:28 PM
Jerry
Instructor

You either have a clutch master or a clutch slave going bad and it is almost impossible to tell which it is so you get both replaced with new. The parts are not expensive but I let my Porsche dealership do the work-looked like a pain.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:22 PM
Badue
Advanced

I don't think I have ever heard of it happening for sure, but the guide sleeve/release bearing could be binding on eachother. Does it make a pop sound when it starts working right again? If there is no fluid leaking and you say the clutch sticks half way some time, the clutch master could be the culprit and not leak any fluid.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:32 PM
Krebby
AutoX

I've never heard a popping sound, but I have noticed that the guide bar (the connection from the pedal to the master cylinder) has a little play - like it's not tight. When I hold it so it doesn't move other than with the motion of the pedal, everything works great. In fact, the whole system worked flawlessly this morning even though I haven't done anything to it.

Quick Reply: Weird Clutch Problem