Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just installed Guru Chip Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 04:18 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Post Just installed Guru Chip Kit

I overnighted a Guru Racing Chip Kit order request Monday before Christmas and I received it Monday morning of this week. Quick turn around given the holiday! I took an extended lunch - two hours that same day and installed the chips, Reliaboost and 3 bar FPR - I'll install the wastegate shims when I change the oil.

Anyway, the improvment was obvious just putzing back to the office. I have about a dozen stop signs and several lights to make the one mile trip. One of the things that always bugged me about the car, was the was the stumble off idle and frequent stumbling when tipping in below 2,000 RPMs. The Guru chips took care of that problem.

That night, I went out to my favorite "test road" and laid into it. Wow, it's a different car! Boost comes on strong at @3k. The car pulled real hard through the gears up to about 120mph when I had to back off. The fluttering that I had noticed at sustained boost with the Lindsey Boost Enhancer was gone with the Reliaboost installed in its place.

It is really amazing to me how some simple bolt ons have transformed the car. The Guru chip kit, previously installed Bursch test pipe and Hyperboost diverter valve come to about $650 total. Talk about bang for the buck. Turbo lag is minimal, around town drivability is vastly improved and there is plenty of giddyup when you want it. I'm going to do the suspension next, so the car is ready for PCA DEs in the spring. When I'm able to consistently get 10/10s out of the car at the track, then I'll go for the MAP kit.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 01-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I have recently installed the chip kit as well.

Drivability seems improved, part throttle response is not as jerky and the throttle seems to be easier to modulate. I'm sure that alone is worth some money to a lot of people, I'm not sure if it's worth $300 to ME. There's still the problem of boost coming on, and building up higher as I apply the same amount of throttle.

Aside from that, this was one of the more expensive upgrades I've done and it doesn't really show anything in 70-100mph tests over europroducts chips that everybody badmouths. Ofcourse I'd like to have reliable and accurate boost control(the included shims +"reliaboost" manual boost controller doesn't do that on my car) before I will reach a conclusion. It is possible that the diaphram in my stock wastegate is torn, so I will hold back on this one as well. I'm planning to do a back to back test of europroducts vs. the guru chips on the dyno where I'll know for sure. As a side point, I'm curious where that 3 bar fpr is sourced from, I've never seen a bosch fpr that was painted black, and the o ring was not a very tight fit, unlike the original fpr, or it's 2.5 bar replacement a week ago. For now I like the stock redline so they stay in, and I will give them the benefit of the doubt.
Ahmet
Old 01-01-2003, 07:53 PM
RJP 951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahmet,

Did you ever do dyno work with the Europroducts chips in the past, such as versus the stock set-up?

I started looking into chip upgrades recently and the europroducts chips seemed appealing from a cost/benefit standpoint. However, I've been swaying toward the Gurus based on all the comments and recommendations here on Rennlist.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Ron
Old 01-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I have not, I feel that the europroducts chips are a very good value with one noted exception which is the redline being so high (over 7k rpm). The only time I can possibly see that to be of benefit is at an auto-x course, other than that it's pointless...

I think I'm going to try to do my oil pan gasket this week (maybe starting tomorrow?), I will plumb in a second blow off valve venting to the atmosphere, an emergency type pop off valve to vent excess pressure (above 17psi maybe) incase the boost does end up creeping that high. I would hope to be done in about two weeks, but nothing ever goes on schedule. I do have a track event coming up in about 5 weeks and chanses are I'll do everything I can to have the car completely sorted by then with a few dyno runs.

The guru chips seem to provide better drivability, and so far tech support has not been bad, I am not so sure if there are quantifiable performance benefit of them over europroducts chips yet. Like I said I would like to go over the engine and do back to back dyno runs before I make up my mind. When I'm done I'll have a set of chips for sale, which chips I sell should pretty much show what I think.
Ahmet

Quick Reply: Just installed Guru Chip Kit