Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CV joint or wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV joint or wheel bearing?

That knocking/clicking sound is worse now. Last time it was in the shop I was having the busted control arm replaced. Thanks to Lart I got both sides for much less than they could get for one side and much sooner. He saved me tons of money and aggravation! They said my rear wheel bearings were loose so they repacked them. That seems to have taken care of a rattle I had going over bumps.

The intermitent clicking/knocking sound is back though. I had replaced both axles with CV joints in 2004 so perhaps I need to do so again? How can one determine which is the problem?

It seems to start up under load and tends to go away when cruising, changes in speed/load will generally start it up again so I'm thinking it's a CV joint.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you get the rear up (may not be a requirement, but makes it easier to reach) and try and rotate the shaft (in the normal direction of spin, and back), and see if there is any play?
Old 11-06-2011, 12:52 AM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

also, carefully move the parking brake arm lever the noise is present to see if there is any change in sound when operating the parking brake lever... and if the noise changes, the problem lies in your parking brake system
Old 11-06-2011, 07:08 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Your rear wheel bearing is a sealed unit so weren't repacked. If it got loose like your mechanic said, then it's probably shot.

CVs tend to make a ticking sound; wheel bearings a grumbling sound. Sounds like your CVs are getting worn based on your description.

They probably still have life in them, though. Remove them, check the grease inside (make sure there is enough and it's clean, then reinstall them opposite orientation (i.e. inner joint becomes the outer by just flipping the entire assembly when reinstalling). This way the ***** of the joint will ride on a different area and your noises will likely go away.

While you have the axles out, rotate each rear wheel by hand to see if the bearings are making noise. If they're bad, you'll be able to hear some scraping and clicking noises.

Good luck,
Jerome
Old 11-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jerome951
Your rear wheel bearing is a sealed unit so weren't repacked. If it got loose like your mechanic said, then it's probably shot.

CVs tend to make a ticking sound; wheel bearings a grumbling sound. Sounds like your CVs are getting worn based on your description.

They probably still have life in them, though. Remove them, check the grease inside (make sure there is enough and it's clean, then reinstall them opposite orientation (i.e. inner joint becomes the outer by just flipping the entire assembly when reinstalling). This way the ***** of the joint will ride on a different area and your noises will likely go away.

While you have the axles out, rotate each rear wheel by hand to see if the bearings are making noise. If they're bad, you'll be able to hear some scraping and clicking noises.

Good luck,
Jerome
Well crap, I'll have to find that receipt again. I could swear it said rear wheel bearings which surprised me because they were replacing the control arms. Perhaps it was the front? Are those sealed as well?

I didnt know I could just flip the assemblies for more life. Dang, that will save money! Of course the ole money pit will soak up that savings but at least something else can get done. I'll have to use his as an excuse to upgrage the fasteners though.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:44 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark-87-951
Well crap, I'll have to find that receipt again. I could swear it said rear wheel bearings which surprised me because they were replacing the control arms. Perhaps it was the front? Are those sealed as well?

I didnt know I could just flip the assemblies for more life. Dang, that will save money! Of course the ole money pit will soak up that savings but at least something else can get done. I'll have to use his as an excuse to upgrage the fasteners though.
fronts are NOT sealed and can be repacked and adjusted for play. rears on 86 and later 944's (and 951 of course) are sealed and can not be adjusted or packed with grease. and you'll know when a rear goes bad as the roar will be quite loud and will lessen on the side that you place a load on.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:39 AM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by superloaf
fronts are NOT sealed and can be repacked and adjusted for play. rears on 86 and later 944's (and 951 of course) are sealed and can not be adjusted or packed with grease. and you'll know when a rear goes bad as the roar will be quite loud and will lessen on the side that you place a load on.
ah, well this isnt a roar. Knocking and clicking and starts/gets worse with load or change in load. I'll be ordering that stage 8 fastener set once I'm sure what tool or socket is used to install and flip the assemblies and see what happens.

Quick Reply: CV joint or wheel bearing?