Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

running rich

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 07:06 PM
951raptor
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question running rich

i was wondering about adjusting a/f mixture?my car is running very rich exhaust stinks very bad.i installed a autometer a/f gauge and it is always stuck on last rich led.ive never seen it move? but even if its not working car is still way to rich
Old 03-02-2002, 07:41 PM
Jeremy Martin
Racer

instead of fixing the symptom, i'd try and track down the problem. there is a reason it's running rich, better to find that and fix it. check the various parts of the fuel injection system, but it is most likely a problem with your dme. is you car chipped?
Old 03-02-2002, 08:49 PM
TCarrera
Advanced

Raptor,
One problem that it could be is the hot water switch that tells the DME what the engine temp is. If this goes bad the DME thinks it is cold all the time and runs the car as if in a rich start up mode. It will run Ok on cold startup and then as it warms up it gets richer and richer.
Just one of many possibilities.
Mike at LR
Old 03-02-2002, 11:47 PM
951raptor
Track Day

THE SENDING UNIT FOR ELECTRIC FANS IS BROKEN IS THAT THE SAME THAT IS USED FOR DME?THE CAR IS NOT CHIPPED
Old 03-03-2002, 02:38 AM
Seattle944t
Advanced

A bad/failed O2 sensor could also cause this problem. If you get one of the Bosch univeral O2's and splice it yourself they cost about $35 IIRC and are a pretty easy fix.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:13 PM
Robert Lavigne
Advanced

I would say that my car has a tendency of running rich as well. Part of this is the pseudo 3bar in the car and the stage 2 chips which I believe do not account for the 3bar. My initial thought was to run the 3bar to make sure that the car never runs lean to avoid any future engine damage.

Can someone with a stage 2/3bar combo explain why they went to the 3bar if different than my mentality. My understanding is that running too rich does take away from some performance does it not?
Old 03-08-2002, 07:05 PM
Matt 86 951
Intermediate

Running rich will rob some performance although not too much. I have dyno charts to prove this both before and after leaning out my car. Perhaps the greater concerns are that your cat will die a quick death and your O2 sensor will not last as long.

I am interested in knowing which temperature sendor you are talking about. While I think my problem is related to aftermarket firmware I would like to investigate other possible causes.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:01 PM
TCarrera
Advanced

Raptor,
No it is not the switch on the radiator that turns on the cooling fans. It is located at the front of the engine, I believe there are two temp senders one of which goes to the DME. I don't remember right off what the other does, maybe the dash gauge or something.

Robert,
Too rich definitely has an effect on engine performance. Leaner means hotter, the hotter the
burn the better, up to a point. The hotter exhaust gas temperatures make the turbo more efficient too. I prefer the adjustable pressure regulator to a fixed pressure unit.
An air/fuel monitor is helpful in determining just where you are at.

So may people ignore the need for instrumentation, without it you just guessing. Boost gauge, fuel pressure, inlet air temperature, Injector cycling, air fuel ratio to mention a few.

Mike at LR
Old 03-09-2002, 08:13 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There was a saying in the old hot-rod days: "Lean is mean".

Quick Reply: running rich