Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 on track oil temps

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 11:03 PM
trymorris
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 951 on track oil temps

I see continuing questions about track oil temps and the need for additional oil cooling.

Stock config 257 F (yikes!)On an 82 deg. day at Heartland Park (I cringe a what it might have been on some of those 100 deg days)

They run oil temps at the track that would make the 911 guys have a cow.

The factory cooler set up is fine for street driving or a factory racer that will be rebuilt often (by some else). For us, we want our motors to live longer and the creative quest for more power has put even more strain on the marginal stock configuration. Back in '94 I put together an '86 Turbo for two driver DEs and eventually club racing. I installed a second cooler because there were to be two drivers in the Kansas summer heat and I suspected that cooling was marginal. I saw some installations where cars were cut up or the RX 7 cooler was used in front of the radiator and they saw a big jump in water temps. In '95 I developed it into a kit for adding a cooler in line with the stock cooler. It does not mount in front of the radiator or effect the brake ducting. Sender was located on return line from coolers to engine.
Tested at Heartland Park Topeka

With the kit installed 202 F

55 F drop

Also saw about 1/2 mark reduction on H20 guage and one bar higher oil pressure.
I have many of these kits out there, including several recently to listers, and those with guages have confirmed these readings to be very accurate. It is easy to install, basically bolt on. Oddly, the NA runs oil temps slightly higher than this in stock form. (Tested the same way with same kit)

NA - 258 deg. on 81 deg. day
With kit - 206 F and a 1/4 guage drop in water temp.

Senders mounted in the oil pan will see higher temps because the oil has already been on the hot parts.
I have more test and kit info if you are interested. There is a thread on this from 12-12-02 with info from folks who have it installed.
I do this on the side because I like these cars and hate to see them blow up or get cut up unnecessarily.
trymorris@***.net

'84 I class NA
'87 NA
'84 with hydrolocked motor
'73 914 ball on chain since '77

Quick Reply: 951 on track oil temps