Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

testing turbo cooling pump?? - jumpering?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 11:59 AM
9milphil
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post testing turbo cooling pump?? - jumpering?

havent heard my turbo cooler stay on after the car for a while so I am starting to worry- I dont want to waste money on a relay -G19_ if I dont have to - is there anyway to jump the relay - like jumpering a fuel relay? -
thanks -

Phil
Old 02-28-2002, 12:42 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
You canapply 12V directly to the pump, if the motor runs, either your relay is bad or faulty wiring exists somewhere in the circuit.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:18 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Reach in under the #1 intake manifold and pull out the plug for the turbo-temperature sensor. Unplug the sensor from the plug. Put a nail or short metal piece in the plug and ground it to the intake-manifold. The pump should run for about 30-seconds after your last contact.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:46 PM
Jerry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a pump that would no work but I found that when I loosened the hold down support on the little electric motor so it was free to move a little then it would run. I will never understand why these motors never run more than 30 sec. even on a hot day on the track. I can think of only once when while sitting near my car as the car and I were resting from 20 min. on the track that it came back on a few minutes later for another 30 sec. To my way of thinking it should always run for five min. Jerry
Old 02-28-2002, 05:12 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your thermoswitch may be worn out. You can get a lower thermoswitch (ND) and install that. I've got one in my turbo and it runs continuously for 20-30minutes after I pull off the track. Only problem is that if you have a weak battery, you may not be able to start the car after an extended drain like that. Call SFR, they have these thermoswitches in stock.

Quick Reply: testing turbo cooling pump?? - jumpering?