Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replaced Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 08:12 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No I didn't. I filled it up with premium. The fuel is pretty clean too because I dumped half a gallon on my grage floor when I replaced my fuel pump. I thought that I had the line clamped off but I didn't have it tigh enough. I am at a complete loss as to what the problem could be.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:54 AM
MarkBytes
Instructor

I had the exact same problem. Went thru 2 fuel pumps. Actually, when the end blew out of the second one, I started to look for other culprits.

The answer and fix was easy. It was a combination of replacing vacuum lines that were leaking and the Fuel Pressure Valve (?) that sits atop the engine and returns unused fuel/pressure back to the tank. My unit was stuck and not releasing the pressure.

When replaced the white smoke, noisy pump, and stalling all went away. Cost = $50.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:01 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
find someone with a 944 and switch dme relays, its a 993 part number, so options are available, wouldn't hurt to have an extra on hand anyway.

Jason
Old 05-24-2002, 11:38 AM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are going to be in town this weekend, then you can try the DME relay from my car. Let me know.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:03 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

I will call you Don.
[quote]
The answer and fix was easy. It was a combination of replacing vacuum lines that were leaking and the Fuel Pressure Valve (?) that sits atop the engine and returns unused fuel/pressure back to the tank. My unit was stuck and not releasing the pressure.
<hr></blockquote>

I was thinking that it was fuel delivery as well. I will look into it thanks for the advice.
Old 05-24-2002, 04:18 PM
MarkBytes
Instructor

Kool,
The correct terminology for my fix was....replacing the Fuel Actuator. Got new one from Vertex.

I cant' explain the smoke, but I had the same thing...also many of the thin nylon vacuum lines running around the manifold were brittle/melted. Replaced with silicone hose.

Purrs like a kitten...
Old 05-28-2002, 04:07 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Hey Everybody

Just got off of the phone with my wrench. And Mark was right the FPR was shot. My Wrench said that the car was running 8 bar or pressure at the rail. He said normal is 2. I would venture to say that it was running a little rich. I will get it back tomorrow and put my APE stage II's in.

I am still leary of the white smoke so I had him go ahead and do a Compression check just so I could sleep at night.

Thanks for all of the advice you guys were a great help.

Quick Reply: Replaced Fuel Pump