Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stock AFM???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 08:58 PM
BJCamp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stock AFM???

Has anyone experimented with the spring preload settings in the stock Air Flow Meter?
Old 05-21-2002, 12:50 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just realized how restricive a K&N cone is! Mine actually Collapsed! I'm glad I dont have to mess with a Vane meter. Check out PRo Flow! <a href="http://www.modernperformanceinc.com" target="_blank">www.modernperformanceinc.com</a>
Old 05-21-2002, 01:28 AM
Jeremy Martin
Racer

good call. :-) i hear people talk about MAF's so much on this forum it's ad nauseum. i've been researching this lately, but havent been able to test this out yet with a flowbench or air compressor. pretty much, it appears that a liner increase in the spring preload will allow for a linear increase mapped onto the air running through the system (makes sense). so, double the preload, double the maximum air; this should be appropriatly calculated according to the injectors you are using. if you're using double the injector size, use double the spring preload; PLEASE REALIZE i havent been able to try any of this yet, so make any modifications at your own risk. and tell me how it goes. anyone here know what spring equations would apply for preload vs tension in the travel of a spring over a fixed range?
Old 05-21-2002, 02:00 PM
BJCamp
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. The stock spring is pretty close to the maximum preload already.

Luke&gt; I don't see any porsche at that site. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 05-21-2002, 03:03 PM
Gary
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by Luke:
<strong>I just realized how restricive a K&N cone is! Mine actually Collapsed!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Luke,

Really pleased that you got everything running properly! I knew you could do it

If your K&N collapsed, what are you using instead? Another K&N? Stock airbox?
Old 05-21-2002, 03:37 PM
bleusax047
Cruisin'

[quote] anyone here know what spring equations would apply for preload vs tension in the travel of a spring over a fixed range? <hr></blockquote>
Spring equations and calculators here: <a href="http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/springs/spring_introduction.cfm" target="_blank">http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/springs/spring_introduction.cfm</a>
Old 05-21-2002, 07:36 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by Gary:
<strong>

Luke,

Really pleased that you got everything running properly! I knew you could do it

If your K&N collapsed, what are you using instead? Another K&N? Stock airbox?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Im using a 3in' cone. THe walls of it are permanently Concave about 25 degrees ( i wonder how much it flexes under load? )

Quick Reply: Stock AFM???