Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

87' 951 or 88' 944 S turbo/ 951 S

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 12:15 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts
Wink

Tony.. My experiences are quite different from yours. I know a handful of S's, and you are the first I've heard to have ABS troubles. Most of us are "content" (haven't changed them) with the factory speakers, but I'd agree they leave something to be desired.
Sway bars and hardened gears don't wear out under normal wear either.
From your list of mods, it sounds like maybe you are one of the few who would would have been better starting with "less".. But for those of us (majority?) who use them for light track duty and daily driving, with no desire to go crazy on mods, the S IS a superior package.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:32 PM
mumzer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also worth noting that the late model turbo S Spindle uses a significantly better hub design and bearing package. In addition to carrying a proper radial mount caliper design.

To be frank, i think the hot set up is an early non-sunroof car, with a turbo s spindle/hub and gear box transplant. You'll wind up changing most of the running gear for track use, as well as most of the suspension bits...but the s does contain a few components that are not well duplicated by the after market, and are quite desirable.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:14 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for the Turbo S speakers- mine came w/the fronts removed- the 6 1/2" (separates) rears were still there- I bought some used 968 door panels w/pockets and speakers (came w/them) and instaslled them- for some reason, SOME of the 968's didn't come w/the 3 speaker front set-up- they (speakers) were supposed to be just like the "S" and have a tweeter up top, and then under the armrest a 5 1/4" and a 3"- mine had the 5 1/4" under the arm and were missing the 3" and 3-way crossover. Anyway, this made a difference- The system, considering the age of the speakers, is really pretty good w/a new deck- I'm also missing the factory amp- these cars made stereo improvements big headaches, but it all kind of comes down to something I said awhile earlier- it really depends on the specific car- an "S" in and of itself can be useless if you're planning to mod anyway, but even still, if you find a good deal on one, don't let the fact that it IS, or IS NOT and "S" turn you away...

Happy hunting....
Old 08-07-2002, 04:24 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced all my 968 speakers with A/D/S speakers (front.. 5 1/4" seperates and rear 6 1/2" sub) then added a PQ80 amp with the A/D/S cross over and an Alpine head unit.

It rocks, and looks completely stock.

TonyG.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:06 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Opps..

I mean PQ20 (no such thing as a PQ80 :-)

Quick Reply: 87' 951 or 88' 944 S turbo/ 951 S