Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Installed a Apexi BOV and it works good....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 09:47 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tazman is right,i was thinking the same thing but was'nt sure if Russ was running a map or not,

Here's some pics of my temporary BOV setup.I will be making a bracket for it and a Aluminium tube for it. The quality of the pics are bad because i had to use my old camere since i lent my new one to my brother.

Old 08-02-2002, 11:37 PM
blu951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to see people enjoy the Pshhhht! sound during shifts.
I have the Blitz DD BOV (my car in the image Edman951 used) and it's loud sounds like a bus or big truck w/air brakes.
But if you want a different sound I recommend the latest BOV from HKS. Sounds like a laser gun going off.
Anyway...rice or no rice the turbo likes it!
Living in Hawaii I'm surrounded with many "rice" fanatics. And, I personally like to give them a taste of my "rice medicine" back to them as I pull away from them! haha

"Hang Loose"
Old 08-03-2002, 12:01 AM
superjet.1
Pro

its like this the stock blow off valve cannot be used to vent to autmosphere for two reasons first the stock spring cannot hold vacuum and will cause a savere vacuum leak ive tryed it.second if you use a stiff spring aftermarket valve and vent to autmosphere it will cause a rich condition maybe not noticable to a seat of the pants driver but it is there.the only correct way to do it is using a map sensor or sds system with map to correctly control fuel air mixture.ive tryed both previous methods and can say by trial and error that map is the only correct way.
Old 08-03-2002, 05:56 AM
blu951
Instructor

Yup!...you're right Superjet1.
I want to upgrade my set up with Danno's kit just as soon I get some $$.
Guru Racing has a very impressive kit and price.

"Hang Loose"
Old 08-03-2002, 12:00 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
superjet.1
I am also going to upgrade to your Guru map kit, its the best way to go.
But as of cossing a rich condition i'm thinking i will just change my oil more often like 2000m or something so i don't get to much gas into my oil to dilute it.

P.S. you guys at Guru Racing should make a BOV kit to go with your map kit, just a suggestion.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:36 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Just wanted to ad something to this BOV debate...

Has anyone thought of using a twin piston BOV to vent to the atmosphere?

I've just fitted a twin piston BOV which vents to the atmosphere and experienced no running problems with bad idle etc. It basically has two pistons, one for boost and one for vacuum which work independently of each other, unlike the OE diaphragm type valve... These valves are supposed to be used on cars where the BOV will blow off metered air. In short the valve only opens when you lift off the accelerator and it doesnt matter then that the air being vented is metered...

Anybody have any comments on this setup?
Old 08-25-2002, 03:55 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts
The PO of my car installed an HKS super sequential on my car. I ran it with the stock DME/KLR and had no problems. Now that I have a Tec3 with map there is no problem either.

On my car the only thing you hear when the car goes by on the track is the blow off. I can run Sunday morning at Road Atlanta and never turn a head.

Alan
Old 08-25-2002, 06:07 PM
TurboTim
Banned

If you are running an airflow meter, MAF or Map, you should not vent a stock blow-off valve to atmosphere.The stock blow-off valve opens up under very small mounts of vacuum. At idle the stock valve will be forced open. Now there is a direct path for unfiltered and unmetered air into your intake manfiold, idle stabilizer and ultimately into your engine.MAP sensor cars do not have to worry about the unmetered air part of the equation but they do have to worry about the unfiltered air.They are also prone to low vacuum(KPA) readings which make dialing in the idle a bit difficult. Most aftermarket blow-off valves can be adjusted to stay closed at idle and only open when they see a large amount of vacuum.If you intend to vent to atmosphere you should use one fo the aftermarket blow-off valves.
Old 08-25-2002, 06:21 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

This particular valve does stay closed at idle.

I tried 2 types of valve, 1 was a Bailey valve and this one did not stay closed at idle causing the engine to 'hunt'. The other did stay closed at idle and causes no idling problems, however, it does tend to make the car stall once you lift off the accelerator

BOTH of these valves are aftermarket dual piston type valves (they do not have a diaphragm which can split like the OEM Bosch one).

Tim - when you say the valves can be adjusted, do you mean changing the springs to make them harder/softer? I intend to experiment with stiffer springs this week.

If anyone has any advice on the stalling problem it would be appreciated, but for now I am assuming it is to do with having too soft a spring in the valve...
Old 08-27-2002, 01:02 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Most aftermarket blow-off valves can be adusted by using different springs or by adjusting the spring rate with a tensioning screw.

Quick Reply: Installed a Apexi BOV and it works good....