Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Possible GURU chips? / Danno

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 08:37 AM
TurboMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Possible GURU chips? / Danno

First, I'd like to congratulate you too on your success on developing the GURU MAP-kit in such record-breaking time frame. I'm positive that your product is at least as good (probably better) than the kits being develped by tuning companies, and what's best: it's here now, available and with a cheap price too!

I know you've probably got your hands full with the MAP kit, but is there a possibility of developing an even cheaper entry-level tuning kit sometime in the near future?

I'm thinking something along the lines of custom GURU chips, a GURU boost enhancer device and 3 bar FPR bundled and optimized together for otherwise stock cars. I think there would be a nice market niche for such a kit (looking at the number of signatures having just chips & LBE's)
not only for the budget-limited but also for people who'd like to get that little extra out of their cars without altering the stock look.

As I recall you yourself questioned the quality of major aftermarket chips with way too retarded ingintion advance and overly rich midrange. I'm sure you could do a better job on this, and since your major customer base would be people on this board, who seem to be rather meticulous about maintaing their cars, it removes the necessity of adding huge safety marginals to the chip's fuel & spark maps.

Also toying with the idea, couldn't your new MAP kit be creatively used to develop the chip in no time, by simply replacing the stock intake (to simulate the restriciton of airflow, AFM signal disconnected of course) and then tuning the LINK computer and copying those final parameters to the chips? (It's probably a lot more complicated than that, I'm just speculating here)

Anyway, it's just a little food for thought.

Thanks for reading my rather lenghty and over-enthusiastic post, and congrats once more for successfully developing such a fine kit!

-Juha (Mindlessly rambling again)
Old 08-01-2002, 09:12 AM
TurboMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoops! Looks like Danno is already one step ahead of me, just checked the 924/944/951/968 forums thread "MAF without chips" (or something like that, too darn lazy to copy and paste...)
You really are THE MAN!

Please do keep us informed of your progress!

-Juha
Old 08-01-2002, 02:35 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, here you go:

Our chips incorporate quite a few features that we had to correct from some of the major aftermarket chips out there:

"couldn't your new MAP kit be creatively used to develop the chip in no time, by simply replacing the stock intake (to simulate the restriciton of airflow, AFM signal disconnected of course) and then tuning the LINK computer and copying those final parameters to the chips?"

EXACTLY !!! Here's the corrections we've found to be necessary and common with several very popular aftermarket chips for the 951. I think the similarities in their deficiencies are due to them copying each other.

The graph above shows a fuel-correction curve we had to program into our fuel-computer in order to get an ideal mixture at 15psi boost. As you can see, we had to fix the following:
  • idle-adjustment for higher fuel-pressure and larger injectors
  • off-idle lean spots (enrichment here gives much better throttle-response)
  • mid-range richness gives 'soggy' unresponsive feel
  • high-end lean tendency is very dangerous

This and the rest of the stuff is being added to our website right now. Only the FAQ section needs to be finished and I'll upload it to our site. Stay tuned!

Quick Reply: Possible GURU chips? / Danno