Brother looking at a cherry '86 951

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:25 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brother looking at a cherry '86 951

My brother called me today from a dealer nearby who has a cherry 68k mile 951. It's red on black, and the ODO is broken, so we are taking that mileage with a grain of salt. The car came from a recent estate sale, and it appears to have been garaged it's whole life. The dash is perfect with no cracks, and the drivers seat only shows very minimal creases in the bolster. Everything works except both power windows, but that sounds like a fuse to me. The paint looks original, still very shiny, the stock phone dials look great with minimal curb rash on a tiny edge of the RR only. The engine bay is stock and very clean.

He took it for a test drive today and said it felt great. Boost was strong, handling tight, he really liked it. The dealer is going to have someone look at the power window problem on Monday, then he's going to talk prices.

They are asking $11,999, but they said they have some room. I told him to offer $9,500 and see what they said, but he's going to wait until he goes back on Monday.

What do you guys think? What do you think this car should sell for? It sounds like a somewhat rare very clean example to ms to stumble across at a dealer...
Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What kind of maintenance has been done to it with paperwork to back it up?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:37 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Black51
What kind of maintenance has been done to it with paperwork to back it up?
That's the catch... estate sale, no records unless he can figure out who serviced the car. It's obviously a candidate for belts ASAP. no problem... I can fix that in a few hours.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:50 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any chance to get compression numbers? if that checks out i would offer 8 and walk away
Old 10-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
any chance to get compression numbers? if that checks out i would offer 8 and walk away
That, plus all the little things that creep up over time from sitting in a garage like rubber and seals I would be concerned about.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:15 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Looking at what $11,999 will buy on this site....I would pass on this car.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I still can't believe US pricing, but low ball it too much and your brother may miss out on what sounds like a great car. Always a tough call but if he is after a mint stock car, then he may have found it. You will always find plenty of ppl saying you can do better/get em cheaper, and no doubt you could, but dash crack free/minty examples, are always going to get harder and harder to find, as time goes on. I love that I don't need to spend any more I mine, but can if I want too, and that I can just drive it and enjoy it
peace
Cyberpunky
Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

LOL...your just gonna mod it! Which is cool!!!! LOL
Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Do it!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:53 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I told him to offer $9,500 earlier today, but he wanted to wait. I agree that $12k is way too high, but I also agree that a minty car is tough to come by. I also don't think there is anything to be scared of with these cars when it comes to mechanical maintenance, so picking up a flawless example knowing that we will need to address a few key maintenance items quickly seems like money in the bank. The value of these cars is only going up...
Old 10-16-2011, 01:27 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I told him to offer $9,500 earlier today, but he wanted to wait. I agree that $12k is way too high, but I also agree that a minty car is tough to come by. I also don't think there is anything to be scared of with these cars when it comes to mechanical maintenance, so picking up a flawless example knowing that we will need to address a few key maintenance items quickly seems like money in the bank. The value of these cars is only going up...
After I got mine I read how you shouldn't get a turbo as your first 944, and all the horror stories, and was thinking what have I done jumping in at the deep end. Now I am so glad I did and that I paid for a good example, as I tend to think *most* of the horror stories are from ppl buying cheap neglected cars, and that with proper care and maintinence, that these fine cars can be enjoyed, and driven for many years to come

I know paying a lot doesn't mean you won't have issues, but I also know ppl who have good examples, tend to be the ones who have always been prepared to pay to maintain them properly and that is often why they are still are in such good condition. Buying a cheap one and planning to fix her up, can be a far more expensive exercise in the longer term

Quick Reply: Brother looking at a cherry '86 951