Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What to do w/ all those thermostat parts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 02:05 AM
WillyC4S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What to do w/ all those thermostat parts?

Hello,

I've just received the parts for my new Lasso water pump and the thermostat (944.106.129.05), shim ring (900.234.160.00) and 2 seal rings (came w/ thermostat). Also got the small turbo thermostat and O-ring, but those are easy to figure out.

I've got a couple of questions on these parts:

1) I thought that the part# for the thermostat should be 944.106.019.00 instead of 944.106.129.05. The Porsche parts CD indicates that the part that I received was superceded by the 944.106.019.00 part#, so I'm confused.

Does anyone know the difference between the two thermostats or if the one I received will work for the new (non-rebuilt) Lasso water pump?

2) What's the installation sequence for the thermostat shim (thin round metallic ring)? This part was listed, along with the new part# for the thermostat, to replace the older thermostat. I got the older thermostat, but the newer shim. Does this make sense?

Do you drop the thermostat in (springs facing the inside of the pump), then insert the shim, then put the snap ring in place? Or do you insert the shim first, then the thermostat and finally put the snap ring in place?

3) What do I do with the second seal ring? Is this one of those situations where you have to select which ring to use depending on which pump you have or do you actually have to use both seal rings somewhere in the pump?

Thanks for all the help folks,

Old 07-31-2002, 10:45 AM
Jax951
Racer

As long as the thermostat fits, I'd say it's fine. Take a look at the temperature rating - it should be stamped on the thermostat body.

This is how I put mine together:

1) Make sure the inner seal is already in place (not easily removable)
2) Insert t'stat, spring first.
3) Insert rubber seal.
4) Insert spacer.
5) Insert C-ring/Split-ring (whatever you want to call it).

That's it for the main thermostat. Now for the turbo thermostat:

1) I assume you bought a new plastic t'stat housing. These come in two types - BLACK (951, has hole inside), and WHITE (944, no hole inside). If you got a white one, no problem - just drill a hole in it so the coolant can flow through.
2) Place petroleum jelly on small O-ring. Put O-ring on new t'stat housing.
3) This thermostat goes the opposite way around, with the springs coming OUT of the water pump. You may want to use some p-j to hold this t'stat in place while you put it together.

That's All!! One thing - bleed, bleed, and bleed again. Fill your system with coolant/water mix, bleed it, go for a drive, bleed it again. Next day (assuming you drove it to work or something - or after a decent little drive) bleed it again.

Hope I helped!

MJ

Old 07-31-2002, 02:07 PM
WillyC4S
Racer

MJ,

Thanks for your reply and it was helpful information. I actually found out some interesting data regarding the water pump and the thermostat and the whole setup.

The new Lasso pump has a smaller distance between the snap ring and the shoulder that the thermostat sits on, when compared to my original water pump (which had the indications of the updated water pump -> larger roller). The original pump had a separation distance of about 7.36mm and the new pump had a separation distance of 4.25mm. I'm surprised that the new Lasso pump did not conform to the new Porsche water pump spec.

My original thermostat in the old pump had a thicker sealing ring around the thermostat and the two thermostats looked identical. I put the thicker sealing ring on the new thermostat and tried seating it in the water pump, but it seemed to halfway block the snap-ring's seating groove(visual inspection only, no attempt to seat snap-ring physically). I didn't have the spacer shim in while attempting this.

I then tried the smaller sealing ring on the new thermostat and it fit much better, but this time it was a bit loose (i.e. too much clearance between the snap-ring groove and the thermostat sealing ring). I took the thermostat out and then put in the spacer shim first and then the thermostat. The fit was perfect! This is the combination that I used.

You had put your spacing shim in after you put in the thermostat, while I did the opposite (my shim sits on the shoulder first, then thermostat). I'm wondering if this makes a difference? I can't see that it does. I felt that the shim fit more securely against the shoulder and was easier to install the snap-ring with the sequence I chose to take.

Also, thanks regarding the turbo thermostat installation. Did as you outlined. I used 3bond 1211 on the O-ring groove and the flange area before assembling and tightening the 2 allen bolts down. Since the housing is plastic, I only hand tightened the bolts down to a point where the bolts wouldn't turn any more (using an allen wrench). I didn't find any torque spec on these bolts, but I'm sure it's not large since it's a plastic material and would crack, like others have stated before.

I'm going to use the same 3bond 1211 stuff on the water pump gasket to make sure there's no leak on the gasket forever. I don't want to be doing this again until another 90K miles goes by!

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: What to do w/ all those thermostat parts?