remove rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 05:34 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post remove rear spoiler

hi all,

my rear spoiler seems to be flapping about a bit, and I was wondering how hard is it to take it off (and put it back on again, obviously). I was going to see exactly what is loose and try and tighten it down etc.

I got as far as removing all the visible screws, then got stuck on the hatch-locks (there is a screw hiding under each). managed to remove one of them, but one of the torx bolts holding the other one in refused to play nice with my allen key (ie started slipping). will i be able to get it out with a proper torx driver?

anyway, assuming i get that done, will the whole thing just lift off once i remove the remaining two screws? or is there other fanciness to be performed? somebody mentioned in another post that the spoiler might 'shatter' if removed...i was under the impression it was a big piece of rubber, does rubber shatter?!? or is there something else that might break?
Old 04-19-2003, 01:10 PM
turbinek
Instructor

As many parts on cars there may be many difficulties in removing them - Porsche is no exception!
Some time ago I just wanted to replace the seal beneath the spoiler therefore I had to remove all screws. One problem was and still is that for 2 screws a special tool is needed. The other problem there are so many screws which are not made to resist corrosion. So there is still the right hidden screw to be removed to install the seal properly - so i don't know if the spoiler will come off without problem. But as far as I know my car - be prepared for everything!

Be prepared for any screw to brake - I guess it would be nice to replace the seal under the spoiler.

Tip: don't try to remove the fog lamps unless you have spares. The srewes might be more than corroded. Again 1 Pfennig gespart....
Old 04-20-2003, 12:19 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

what special tool?
Old 04-20-2003, 01:27 PM
turbinek
Instructor

The special thing was the price 20 CHF for a torx like 3/8 nut.

That was it..
Old 04-20-2003, 02:22 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
Thats not a torx, its a "triple square" and you really want to have the right tool to remove and install those. The cheap ones can be found at lots of automotive stores in the USA, I don't know what to suggest for you folks in other countries. If you have been using a hex head wrench to try and remove that, you are probably already hosed, and will likely have to resort to drilling it out.

Regards,
Old 04-21-2003, 12:05 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

yes . i am going to replace it with a hex head.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:01 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

as a (very late) follow-up, I did get that triple square bolt out. relatively easy in the end, I doused it in penetrating lubricant and then belted a 6mm (might have been 5.5) triple square bit (the actual size is 5mm) into it with a rubber mallet. easy as pie.

unlike the other screws, which were a real pain in the ***. i did have to drill one of them out.

Quick Reply: remove rear spoiler