Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR420 Kit (almost) at low boost 15psi

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003 | 02:32 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

John

If you determined your oil pressure via the factory gauge, then you could be easily mislead.

The gauge is not accurate by any strech of the imagination.

I've never had any oil issues upto 7000rpms as verified with my mechanical oil pressure gauge.

The oil bubbles could easily be, and are most likely the cause of, that of the turbo draining.

The oil exiting the turbo is nothing but "foam". It's not oil quietly pouring back into the oil pan as one would imagine. And this "foam" theory is directly from Innovative Turbo (and BTW is one of the major causes of oil drain problems with turbos FWIW).
Old 04-22-2003 | 02:41 AM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

Hey Tony!

You might be right. But then, is it worth the gamble? Most folkes on the list have factory gauges so they go by what they read on them. I didn't have any gauges other than factory at the time of the run. But it was a sudden RED light, and I shut it down, we fired it up right away, no pressure, red light on, then we left it for about a minute and fired it up...then we had pressure. I'm sure Derrek remembers the run..he might be able to fill in more details. But for me, that was enough to learn by.

By the way, thanks for the input while I was at Buttonwillow. The compression is higher than I thought, and after talking around..( I don't want to run alchohol), its a good idea to install the TMC1 that I have sitting on the shelf to pull some timing out.

I'm glad you took my call.

Take Care!
Old 04-22-2003 | 02:59 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

John

"But then, is it worth the gamble?". Is running big boost worth the gamble? :-) Of course it is! It's called the HP addiction (which parallels so very closely, crack additiction)!!!

Alcohol isn't bad. It's good. Replace all the rubber fuel lines with metal, recalibrate, and you're on your way.

You can easily run big compression on alcohol, which will translate into more power (huge octane boost over gas).

At a minimum, you're gonna need to run C12 or C4 Ultimate, or similar in that baby.

I'd go alcohol if it were my car with that kind of compression ratio.... mu ha ha

Also, a cam with more overlap (closer lobe centerlines) will offset some of that compression for sure and reduce the propensity to detonate.

Milledge has some "big daddy" cams that should fit that bill (no pun intened!). :-)
Old 04-22-2003 | 11:44 AM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

Tony,

I'm running a custom grind right now...but it may have to be replaced after seeing the results of the new headwork. As far as fuel, we just purchased a 55 gallon drum of 115. What do you think?

I'm really looking for a way to not fuss with the timing, maybe the 115 will do the trick. We were running 111 at ButtonWillow.

Besides, alcohol gets such crappy mileage :-)

What do you think?
Old 04-22-2003 | 11:49 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey TonyG,

Did I read this correctly?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">
"But then, is it worth the gamble?". Is running big boost worth the gamble? :-) Of course it is! It's called the HP addiction (which parallels so very closely, crack additiction)!!!

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">So what changed? On the "Vitesse" thread you did not want to run more than 18psi boost in order not to risk destroying the engine?
Old 04-22-2003 | 12:13 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

fast951

You're misunderstanding me.

Pushing these motors to make 2x the HP they did stock is a gamble to begin with.

All of us here are gambling. Some more than others.
Old 04-22-2003 | 12:13 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

fast951

.... and.... it was said in jest.
Old 04-22-2003 | 12:19 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

TonyG,

I was not serious, just had to comment. No harm intended LOL.

Better be safe than sorry!

Quick Reply: SFR420 Kit (almost) at low boost 15psi