Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Smoke after slowing to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:29 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Are you running a MAF, or a stock AFM w/j-boot?
Stock. Only mods are cone air filter, and gutted cat.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:44 PM
SteveIX51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same, sporadic smoke when slowing to a stop issue as you, 86 951 Driver. Sometimes I trick myself into think it's a fluke as well, but it always comes back, at some point. Wish I had answers for you, but just sympathy.

FWIW, I had a buddy drive my car as I followed him to check things out, and there was a little more smoke than I had realized, but still pretty sporadic and rare. I think you just notice it more when you come to a stop more because that's when the wind can catch it and blow it in your face.

My own theory was based on the fact that I'm running a MAF setup with larger injectors and corresponding chips that are programmed to switch between batch and semi-batch operation. Maybe the switching point, which should correspond with dropping to idle, causes a temporary rich fuel metering condition that comes out as smoke? Your stock setup and similar problem, however, coupled with the fact that I do burn about a quart of oil every 500 miles or so, may make me rethink that theory.

In any event, you are not alone, and hopefully someone else out there can help you (and me) figure this out.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:46 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been told that it could be the valve guides are leaking. But I don't burn any oil. The level has stayed the same since I changed the oil about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I have about 300 miles on it so far.

Quick Reply: Smoke after slowing to a stop