Hunting/High Idle: M-Tune E85

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:54 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hunting/High Idle: M-Tune E85

Has anyone running M-Tune with E85 experienced idle issues? My idle was acting a little funky with gas - it would occasionally hunt 100-200 rpm high for no reason, and with a/c on, it was 100-200 low. With E85, it's automatically 100-200 rpm high (1300-ish) and 80% of the time and occasionally hunts up to 1400-1600, and it even cycled as high as 1800 several times today while waiting at a red light with the a/c off. I tried blipping the throttle a couple times when that happened, nothing changed. AFR at idle is 15-16.

I checked the TPS today and it operates as expected. Idle circuit closes fine, and resistance changes as expected on both increasing and decreasing circuits. The ISV tested well when I checked it a month or so ago. What else should I be looking at??
Old 10-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Has anyone running M-Tune with E85 experienced idle issues? My idle was acting a little funky with gas - it would occasionally hunt 100-200 rpm high for no reason, and with a/c on, it was 100-200 low. With E85, it's automatically 100-200 rpm high (1300-ish) and 80% of the time and occasionally hunts up to 1400-1600, and it even cycled as high as 1800 several times today while waiting at a red light with the a/c off. I tried blipping the throttle a couple times when that happened, nothing changed. AFR at idle is 15-16.

I checked the TPS today and it operates as expected. Idle circuit closes fine, and resistance changes as expected on both increasing and decreasing circuits. The ISV tested well when I checked it a month or so ago. What else should I be looking at??
Matt,
That is probably my fault - your early SW version has a pretty aggressive idle, something that I've toned down since...
I put an update in your package - which should correct this.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Ifly951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue with my M-tune. Hopefully we can figure it out. otherwise the car runs awesome.

I am waiting for a Turbo Oil line O ring this week. After I install it, I will tinker with the car much more to try and figure it out.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Ifly951, and any others, shoot me an email and I'll include an update for you.

It definitely seems to affect some cars more than others.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Ifly951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Josh!

Since my intake is loose I will try and re-check my ISV just to be sure that's not it. After I get the O-ring and put everything back together I will Pm or email you.

Can't wait to get the car all together. Since we last talked I had the Turbonetics rebuilt. It's a dual BB 50 trim. Bought a Tial 38mm and new silicon hoses. NGK plugs. MBC in dash. This car will be ready to roll solid once it stops nickel and diming me to death trying to get it on the road. Wait, that never ends......
Old 10-01-2011, 11:15 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AFR at 15-16 sounds a little lean to me? I would expect it to be 14.7 (dither from there). Might be a vacume leak? I'd spray a throttle body cleaner on all the vacume lines and see if the idel increses, if it does react you've got a vacume leak.

Wow that was werid. Everybody posted at the same time! And I was last. Well never mind! It looks like problem solved!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Ifly951
Hey Josh!

Since my intake is loose I will try and re-check my ISV just to be sure that's not it. After I get the O-ring and put everything back together I will Pm or email you.

Can't wait to get the car all together. Since we last talked I had the Turbonetics rebuilt. It's a dual BB 50 trim. Bought a Tial 38mm and new silicon hoses. NGK plugs. MBC in dash. This car will be ready to roll solid once it stops nickel and diming me to death trying to get it on the road. Wait, that never ends......
Nice! The 50trim DBB is one of the best street-turbo options for this car, IMO. In-Fact that is exactly what Refresh951 has, and he lost no spool while gaining nearly 100rwhp!

Regardless of if your ISV is suspect or not, send me an email - and we will get you updated to the newest software.

Originally Posted by schip43
AFR at 15-16 sounds a little lean to me? I would expect it to be 14.7 (dither from there). Might be a vacume leak? I'd spray a throttle body cleaner on all the vacume lines and see if the idel increses, if it does react you've got a vacume leak.
Good idea. Matt, how old is your O2 sensor?
Old 10-01-2011, 11:31 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Matt,
That is probably my fault - your early SW version has a pretty aggressive idle, something that I've toned down since...
I put an update in your package - which should correct this.
Great, thanks!

Originally Posted by Ifly951
I have the same issue with my M-tune. Hopefully we can figure it out. otherwise the car runs awesome.
I should probably mention that this is my only issue. The car is amazingly fun right now... between having a turbo that will hold big (for me) boost to redline, and a flexible ECU/MAF solution than can maximize that turbo, I'm all smiles when I drive!!

I'll give that a shot tomorrow, but everything has been replaced, checked, and double-checked. I'm pretty sure it's not a vacuum issue.

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Matt, how old is your O2 sensor?
I suspect it's original, plus it got WASHED with oil a couple of weeks ago when the turbo went. Is there a way to test it?
Old 10-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

I suspect it's original, plus it got WASHED with oil a couple of weeks ago when the turbo went. Is there a way to test it?
Look under "Oxygen Sensor General Information, Testing and Replacement" on clarks-garage.com
Old 10-02-2011, 12:10 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crackership
Look under "Oxygen Sensor General Information, Testing and Replacement" on clarks-garage.com
+1 You check it with a DVOM and recalling from memory, it should dither back and froth from 1 volt I think and 1 volt is equivalent to...14.7!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:14 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

+1 You check it with a DVOM and recalling from memory, it should dither back and froth from 1 volt I think? Which would be equivalent to...14.7!
It's always done that on my NB gauge until I yanked that gauge the other day and installed my new WB setup. I guess it won't be difficult to put a meter on it to verify, but I suspect it will pass that test.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:38 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

It's always done that on my NB gauge until I yanked that gauge the other day and installed my new WB setup. I guess it won't be difficult to put a meter on it to verify, but I suspect it will pass that test.
Or will it?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:45 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If it was the NB sensor, why is the problem amplified greatly with E85? AFR's on the WB are nearly identical with gas and E85, so if the NB sensor was defective, I would expect the identical behavior with gas. Just seems odd, and I am doubting the NB sensor is the culprit, but I'm not opposed to hooking up the Fluke for 30 seconds to confirm.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:55 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, kinda odd well have a can of TB spray ready also, you never know.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

How do you update the software?

Quick Reply: Hunting/High Idle: M-Tune E85