my head job pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 12:46 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by PorscheG96:
<strong>You get **** done fast, that's awesome. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Marc (Alpine Autowerks) gets stuff done fast. I'm just an IT geek that likes to tinker with stuff. I know how to tune the car, what parts to choose, and how stuff works, but when it comes to the actual work, Marc's the man and I just get in the way (I don't know crap) .

[quote]Originally posted by tt9714:
<strong>Is it possible to reinstall the timing belt without retensioning with a high degree of confidence for short-term use (enough to drive 10 miles to my P-car mechanic for an "official check")?</strong><hr></blockquote>

See my post above .

[quote]Originally posted by michael2e:
<strong>Rage, would you recommend O ringing for street use (15+/- PSI boost) or do you think it's unnecessary as Danno has suggested in his HG dissertation. How much does this cost? Also would like to know whether Raceware studs are worth the $. Thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

Honestly, I dunno what the answer is. I got the head O-Ringed because of the headgasket horror stories. Some say the head gasket SHOULD fail before piston/valve damage due to heavy detonation... a safety barrier if you will. But imagine changing head gaskets 3x a year, I didn't want to deal with that and thus the O-Ring. As you can see from the old headgasket, it was in perfect condition behind the o-ring. All the detonation pitted just the inside of the head gasket ring. IMO, as long as you keep the A/F ratios in check, and eliminate detonation, an O-Ring will keep you from changing head gaskets often on high boost applications.
Old 10-19-2002, 02:37 AM
951carter
Racer

Rage,
I don't see an O-ring on that head.

An O-ringed head sould look like this

<a href="http://groups.msn.com/944world/951carter.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=786" target="_blank">http://groups.msn.com/944world/951carter.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=786</a>
Old 10-19-2002, 02:51 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by over1g:
<strong>That's how things are supposed to be done!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is drilling small random holes in afm barn doors considered SOP as well?
Old 10-19-2002, 02:53 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by 951carter:
<strong>Rage,
I don't see an O-ring on that head.</strong><hr></blockquote>

My O-ring is on the block side. I'll see if I have a close-up shot handy.
Old 10-19-2002, 03:59 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Steve Lavigne:
<strong>
Is drilling small random holes in afm barn doors considered SOP as well?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm assuming you mean 'standard operating procedure'. Well, there's a difference between somebody experimenting on his own car, and doing work on time for a paying customer, at a business... Ofcourse I could bull**** you about how what's considered standard for one wouldn't be the same for another person, etc. I did mine cause I didn't have anything better to do (oh and I was 16), I'll spare you the rest. I just posted that because for some reason nobody expects headwork to be done in less than a week anymore, and this isn't a complicated process. R/Ring a head doesn't take but a few hours for an experienced shop, and almost everyone sends theirs out to a 3rd party to get valves installed, the head machined, polished, whatever and there's no good reason for the extended wait that most people put up with no questions asked, it's almost expected!
Ahmet
Old 10-19-2002, 12:04 PM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're taking a few pictures how about a close up of the HG to show how the O ring contours the metal. Thanks
Old 10-19-2002, 08:49 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Update on the progress of the head work :

As you can see, made it to the track! Died on Monday, opened up on Wednesday, fixed by Friday, Tracked by Saturday. Busy week for Marc!

dand86951 drove down from Edmonton (200miles) and brought his 951 (K27/6) out and we got to run a session together. The K27/6 definately gets out of corners quicker than my car (less lag) but I catch up slowly... If we're both on it down the front straight, I think it'll take the whole straight for me to pass him! We're that close! He had some technical troubles after the first session (possible head gasket ), we'll let him fill us in on the details when he makes it home.

The fastest cars down the straight today were our pair of 951's and a bigger turbo 930 slantnose (built by Marc as well).
Old 10-22-2002, 12:44 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by rage2:

<hr></blockquote>

That isn't a stock downpipe I see is it??
Looks pretty old and grimy...but does look at least somewhat bigger than stock.

Maybe upgrading your IC pipes will help get rid of your huge turbo lag?

Quick Reply: my head job pics