Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

To build a massive street car...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 02:28 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right.. RE: Auto Atlanta - only their mail-order has had the bad reviews. I've yet to read bad posts about their actual work/service (with several folks going so far as to say that it's quite a bit better than many other options for this area). If you have PERSONAL experience otherwise, feel free to share - otherwise I'd apreciate leaving the thread crapping for others.

I glanced (briefly) at test-pipes online (new) - uhhh.. $750 for a test pipe Isn't going to happen.. I didn't see anything on eBay or the Rennlist classifieds (though I've yet to dig through the PCA 'Mart) either. I've been planning on getting the Guru chips for awhile, but that's on hold till I finish some other things.

Still, is an 86 951 the best base for a great street-car? (I do play in the corners and use it for commuter duty - not sure a 930 would be the right direction - not to mention they're currently just a Little out of my price range). I'm still thinking a 3.0l engine would be a better base for what I really want. I've seen a couple S2/968's with higher miles and blown engines for a reasonable price and wouldn't have issues dropping money into an engine rebuild + turbo/SC kit. That way I get the power I want while keeping the beautiful handling (I really do love the ride).

Thanks for the ideas though guys... it's much appreciated.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:12 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote]ill be selling my boost enhancer whenever the electronic boost controller arrives...<hr></blockquote>

Sam, which controller are you going with?
Old 12-26-2002, 04:10 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Just a HKS EVC Model III. Looks just like the EVC IV, but without the dial-****. I originally wanted the Blitz SBC-iD, but since Im still relatively stock I can do without a super high end boost controller for awhile. Really I got a deal I couldnt refuse and I needed a way to control my new Tial wastegate
Old 12-26-2002, 07:03 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can pick up a 3" SS test pipe from <a href="http://www.speedforceracing.com" target="_blank">http://www.speedforceracing.com</a> for ~$500.

OR you can spring for a 2.5" mild steel test pipe made by Bursch for $250 I think? Maybe a little less.

[quote]Originally posted by Brian McCoy:
<strong>

I glanced (briefly) at test-pipes online (new) - uhhh.. $750 for a test pipe Isn't going to happen.. I didn't see anything on eBay or the Rennlist classifieds (though I've yet to dig through the PCA 'Mart) either. I've been planning on getting the Guru chips for awhile, but that's on hold till I finish some other things.

</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 12-26-2002, 07:57 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by SamGrant951:
<strong>Just a HKS EVC Model III. Looks just like the EVC IV, but without the dial-****. I originally wanted the Blitz SBC-iD, but since Im still relatively stock I can do without a super high end boost controller for awhile. Really I got a deal I couldnt refuse and I needed a way to control my new Tial wastegate </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmm...anything you can share...Is there more available or was it a one time deal...I'm looking to spend more money I don't have...
Old 12-26-2002, 09:11 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

sorry to bad talk your buddies, common sense would have said that i wouldn't have said anything if i didn't have "PERSONAL" experience. good luck with your good condition 951 that can't keep up with an explorer.

[quote]Originally posted by Brian McCoy:
<strong>Right.. RE: Auto Atlanta - only their mail-order has had the bad reviews. I've yet to read bad posts about their actual work/service (with several folks going so far as to say that it's quite a bit better than many other options for this area). If you have PERSONAL experience otherwise, feel free to share - otherwise I'd apreciate leaving the thread crapping for others.

</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 12-26-2002, 10:04 PM
white 944 turbo
Instructor

Brian, you dont need to spend so much money for an exhaust. Just go to a muffler shop, have a 3 inch full exhaust made and put a borla muffler on. It will cost you hundreds less and down the line you can have it jet hot coated. If you have future plans modify you AFM to a maf or mas or even upgrade your intercooler then have them make you some hard pipes for your intercooler and powder coat them.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:48 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Brian,
I have exactly the exhaust that white944turbo is suggesting. (Edit- well maybe I shouldn't have read so fast. Not exactly, but similar and in 2.5", not 3") Stock catback with a Borla XR-1 stainless 2.5" welded in and a Bursch 2.5" testpipe. They're both coming off my car and they're yours (if michael2e decides not to get them) for the price of $150. The cat back section needs a new tip, but otherwise both pieces are in good shape.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:46 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Russ Murphy:
<strong>Brian,
I have exactly the exhaust that white944turbo is suggesting. (Edit- well maybe I shouldn't have read so fast. Not exactly, but similar and in 2.5", not 3") Stock catback with a Borla XR-1 stainless 2.5" welded in and a Bursch 2.5" testpipe. They're both coming off my car and they're yours (if michael2e decides not to get them) for the price of $150. The cat back section needs a new tip, but otherwise both pieces are in good shape. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Russ how did that setup sound? I was thinking about getting a Borla XR-1.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:04 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Awesome! Seriously, all of the comments about the sound from folks at DE's and such were quite positive. Throaty, not too loud. It's was a little droney at 3200 rpm but not too bad.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:43 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Russ. I think I'm going to try that. For $130 it's worth a try.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:49 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Make sure to get the 16" (or longer) oval or it will be louder.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:01 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alright I'll do that. Thanks.

Quick Reply: To build a massive street car...