Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

High rate of oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 12:39 PM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post High rate of oil consumption

I have an '87 951 with about 84k miles on it. It goes through oil rather fast ... about 3 qts every 1200 miles. It is not a daily driver, so most of the time it is being driven rather hard. I have never found an oil spot in the garage, so am wondering where all of this oil is going. I have not noticed it smoking, although I can not test this now because the wheels are off (waiting for new rotors to come in). Any advice on where to check for oil leaks. I have also been told that some oil use in 951s is regular. About how much should be expected?
Old 02-26-2002, 03:29 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your intercooler pipes. If there is alot of oil in them, it may be going through the turbo.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:01 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car was going through a quart of oil every 300 miles when I bought it. It didn't leak any oil either. Some oil may have been coming through the turbo, but that wasn't the real problem. I was hoping it just needed a valve job, or at worst maybe some new rings. I had my mechanic remove the head to do a valve job, and to put my new turbo in. What he found after removing the head was a scored #2 cylinder wall. Not good... So out came the motor, bored, honed, 0.5mm oversize factory pistons, new exhaust valves, valve job, new main/rod/balance shaft bearings, seals, clutch, etc etc...(ie. $$$) The good news is that now the car barely consumes any oil.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:44 PM
Jerry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 86 944t that seemed to use up (no leaks) too much oil and when I saked Porsche what was considered the worst case but within acceptable limits they said 1qt/400mi. I assume it is going through the turbo bearing. Anyone who buy a 944t or does track events for their first time should know to check their oil very often until they get used to their car.

Quick Reply: High rate of oil consumption