Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Virgin Porsche owner..

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Scott - thanks for the advice on the WO2.. Reason for asking was that I found a nice WO2 unit at my local turbo shop for a good price, but its without the datalogging facilities. But I do believe in the old saying "do it right, do it once" so I better cough up for a Zeitronix or similar unit, and I'm sure it will pay for itself many times over if I want to turn up the power ****.. Where would be the best place to buy one then, since I cant seem to find them here.?

Matt - great job on getting your car back on the road, it must feel soooo good after 5 years.. I'll keep a sharp eye on your rebuild tread and look forward to seeing some dyno readouts.

Spammajamma - you are right about there's some differences between US and Euro cars, hence the different VIN I guess. And I agree with you that '89 was probably the best year for the 951, since they all pretty much had full option package that year - unless you lust for a 951 Turbo Cab of course.. But I'm not really sure where you got that $4800 price from.. I had to pay 160,000 danish kroners for my car which, with todays exchange rate is $28,500 including all taxes. And that was actually a good deal, since its valued at $34k. New price in the late eighties for a standard 951 was $200,000 using todays exchange rate - dont know what the exchange rate was back in the day. No wonder there's only a few of them here..

Crackership - I've only had time to check the plug and wires on the DME temp sensor, but I'll try testing it following the instructions on Clarks Garage and see if it actually works. If I can figure it out that is - I'm all thumps and no clue when it comes to electrics.. But if everything fails, I'll just replace the sensor..

95ONE - Well.. I just had to get it off my chest... Or maybe something got lost during translation in my head.. So please bear with me since english is not my native lingo, I was just trying to say this Porsche is my first...

Alex.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motosport

Crackership - I've only had time to check the plug and wires on the DME temp sensor, but I'll try testing it following the instructions on Clarks Garage and see if it actually works. If I can figure it out that is - I'm all thumps and no clue when it comes to electrics.. But if everything fails, I'll just replace the sensor..
For what it's worth, the vast majority of the electronics knowledge you need for automotive purposes can be garnered from a very rudimentary education in DC. There are several very good sources for this knowledge both online and in libraries. If I can be of any help, I'll do what I can. I have a BSCE and have taught associate's level DC electronics on a few occasions. And, in my experience, all you really need to know is covered in the first few chapters of your average DC electronics text book. It's more intimidating than difficult.

When you get to testing, don't forget to test the O2 sensor as well, that could just as easily be your culprit as the DME temp sensor. Also, be aware that running pig-rich for extended periods of time can cause far more expensive issues than heavy fuel consumption (even at $8/gallon)
Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best (possibly only?) place to get the Zeitronix is straight from them at http://zeitronix.com/

Coming from someone who is using Innovate products, go with Zeitronix, it does 95% the same stuff, fits in a much smaller place, and is all in one. Get the $400 set with the gauge and don't look back.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Crackership - Thanks for your kind offer.. I have a strong feeling that you are Sooo right about this electronics stuff.. Mans worst fear is always the unknown... But I did have a small victory going into the unknown last week. The voltage charging warning light suddenly lit up last week in my VW TDI daily driver and I decided to have a go at fixing it. Battery was good so I assumed the alternator was the culprit. But before rushing out buying a new one, I got this bright idea that maybe it was just the voltage regulator that was dead, since the alternators are usually pretty strong and reliable. And hey presto.. I was right and with a new regulator in my hand and the $150 that I saved in my pocket, the car was soon fixed and I felt proud of myself..

So I guess that with a bit of patience, perseverance and great help from you and other knowledgeable rennlisters I can learn to fix electronics too...

I will try and test the O2 sensor as well before just replacing it. And I have heard about cylinder wash down or something like that not being very healthy for the engine.. So I better get it fixed soon in order to avoid my wallet getting really hurt..

Alex.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Motosport
Crackership - Thanks for your kind offer.. I have a strong feeling that you are Sooo right about this electronics stuff.. Mans worst fear is always the unknown... But I did have a small victory going into the unknown last week. The voltage charging warning light suddenly lit up last week in my VW TDI daily driver and I decided to have a go at fixing it. Battery was good so I assumed the alternator was the culprit. But before rushing out buying a new one, I got this bright idea that maybe it was just the voltage regulator that was dead, since the alternators are usually pretty strong and reliable. And hey presto.. I was right and with a new regulator in my hand and the $150 that I saved in my pocket, the car was soon fixed and I felt proud of myself..

So I guess that with a bit of patience, perseverance and great help from you and other knowledgeable rennlisters I can learn to fix electronics too...

I will try and test the O2 sensor as well before just replacing it. And I have heard about cylinder wash down or something like that not being very healthy for the engine.. So I better get it fixed soon in order to avoid my wallet getting really hurt..

Alex.
Cylinder wash can result in loss of compression and possible damage/scoring to the cylinder walls. Pull your oil dipstick and smell the oil on the end of it... if it smells strongly of fuel, you're running the risk of serious damage.

Did you say before that you have a MAF kit installed? I had a horrible rich condition for a while and it turned out to be caused by poor crimps made by the PO when the pigtail for the MAF was spliced into the wiring harness. Just another thing to check.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:54 AM
spammajamma
Pro

[QUOTE=Motosport;8914423]Scott - thanks for the advice on the WO2.. Reason for asking was that I found a nice WO2 unit at my local turbo shop for a good price, but its without the datalogging facilities. But I do believe in the old saying "do it right, do it once" so I better cough up for a Zeitronix or similar unit, and I'm sure it will pay for itself many times over if I want to turn up the power ****.. Where would be the best place to buy one then, since I cant seem to find them here.?

Matt - great job on getting your car back on the road, it must feel soooo good after 5 years.. I'll keep a sharp eye on your rebuild tread and look forward to seeing some dyno readouts.

Spammajamma - you are right about there's some differences between US and Euro cars, hence the different VIN I guess. And I agree with you that '89 was probably the best year for the 951, since they all pretty much had full option package that year - unless you lust for a 951 Turbo Cab of course.. But I'm not really sure where you got that $4800 price from.. I had to pay 160,000 danish kroners for my car which, with todays exchange rate is $28,500 including all taxes. And that was actually a good deal, since its valued at $34k.]

Sorry, I assumed you had not done the conversion
but you're right
these are some of the best cars produced by Porsche, I've driven 911's and I really like them but there's something very special about these cars, balance and refinement..representative of a new evolutionary line.
the 911 has just assumed

Quick Reply: Virgin Porsche owner..