Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Virgin Porsche owner..

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Gordy C
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking car and also great to know that members on the Rennlist can be so helpful. Enjoy your Turbo and drive safe. Gordy
Old 09-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and nice comments..

In between other chores I just managed to spend half an hour with the Porsche. The DME temp sensor looks fine as well as the plug and wires. I removed the small rubber boot on the plug to have a look, but all wires were in great condition. So I just gave it a small dab of silicone grease and assembled again. But I'll probably just install a new temp sensor anyway. Took a look at the plugs too.. The tip was medium grey and looked pretty good, but there was some carbon build up on the ring. The gap was 0,8 mm on all of them. I hope my new FPR arrives soon to see if that makes a difference..

Alex.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:33 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alex, Welcome. Great looking car. Now get that jug of oil out of the car,before you mess up the interior.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Motosport
Racer

LoL.. These pics were taken when I first got the car home from the dealer. They did a full service before I got the car and just gave me the remaining oil from the oil change, hence the oil jug in the car. Removing it from the car was also the first thing I did - well second I guess after taking pics - so not to mess up the interior..

I was just reading some of the write ups on Clarks Garage as recommended.. Wow, that man should be awarded a medal.. I can already foresee the large amount of money he is going to save me in the future, and I'm sure that if he had a dollar for every time someone used his write ups before throwing themselves in the depth of a 951 engine bay, he would be a millionaire by now.. Thank god for people like him.. Who is he anyway.. a rennlister I assume.?

Alex.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Alex, beautiful car!

As for the WBO2, you've got to add another bung for it further downstream. Here is a good picture of the ideal placement. The stock O2 is a narrow band (0-1v) whereas the wide band is a very different animal (0-5v). There are narrow band O2 gauges that do piggyback off of the stock sensor, but they're very hard to make sense of. The NB is designed to be read by the computer, which can interpret data a lot faster than the human eye/brain. The whole purpose of a WB is to be human readable. A NB gauge will just bounce around wildly and make no real sense.

As for Clark... I don't really know who he is, I've never seen anyone here who appears to be him. But he is definitely awesome, and has made an invaluable contribution to this community.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

That is a perfect looking 951!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:10 AM
Porsche Ober
Intermediate

Very Clean!! Love it.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:30 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Beautiful car! Looks like the rear tires may me a little narrow for the wheels. Porsche tended to go low on width, but wider options are also available to get more "rubber on the road" and add some protection for those nice forged wheels.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Motosport
Racer

Thank you guys for all the nice comments on my car.. I do feel that I have been lucky on this car, especially since the selection of 951's are so scarce here in DK, and the color combo of satin black metallic with the beige leather interior just happens to be my favorite as well.

But I have also tremendously enjoyed looking at all your beautiful cars, and my wish list of future upgrades are growing. One of them being upgrading to bigger wheels, even though I have got many compliments of the stock forged wheels. I know they are very light and since I value performance over looks I would like to stick to original porsche wheels. At the moment I'm considering the 18" GT3 wheels which should fit nicely. The stock 16" are wearing 245/45 S-002's at the moment which I agree with Matt on does look at bit skinny. The 10" GT3's should allow me to wear 275 or even 285's, which hopefully also will help cure the speedo error that's showing 11% to much. Not that it bother me to much in daily driving, but its adding way to many miles to my odometer. Its currently showing 91k miles, but the car has actually only driven 80k..

I asked in a previous post whether I need a wideband O2 with datalogging features or not in order to properly monitor my air/fuel condition and sort out my poor gas mileage issue.. What are peoples opinion on that.?

Alex.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Motosport
Racer

And by the way Matt, I have been ogling your car and especially your engine bay with much envy... It just looks fantastic and exactly what I would like to see when I open my hood. And my plans for performance upgrades is also a pretty much exact copy cat.. M-tune (or C-tune with the Vitesse MAF I have), bigger injectors, DP wastegate, MBC, 3" exhaust and perhaps an upgraded turbo.

I think this setup strikes a nice balance of decent horsepower, great driveability, good spread of torque and hardly any loss of reliability. How do you like your setup Matt and how much power is your car making with it.?

Alex.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Motosport
Its currently showing 91k miles, but the car has actually only driven 80k..

I asked in a previous post whether I need a wideband O2 with datalogging features or not in order to properly monitor my air/fuel condition and sort out my poor gas mileage issue.. What are peoples opinion on that.?

Alex.
Just wait for the odo gear to break and don't replace it for a while. Ying and yang

A wideband O2 with datalogging is an invaluable tool with these cars. It can help steer you towards problems with sensors/wiring/or incorrect components put on by previous owners. The Zeitronix ZT-2 is the best bang for the buck and is an "all-in-one" unit unlike the Innovate or similar where you have to buy several components and link them together. I'd say go ahead and get it, you'll want it in the future anyway once the mod bug hits.

You will need to weld in a new bung post turbo (a few inches before the catalytic convertor if your car has one, otherwise in that general area, mounted between the 9-3 o'clock positions but preferably between 10-2. I would say that datalogging is essential, you can't constantly monitor the gauge and drive safely. Datalogging allows you to do a few runs, download and view the data at home, and then extrapolate problems from that. At the minimum you need AFR correlated with RPM.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:01 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

And by the way Matt, I have been ogling your car and especially your engine bay with much envy... It just looks fantastic and exactly what I would like to see when I open my hood. And my plans for performance upgrades is also a pretty much exact copy cat.. M-tune (or C-tune with the Vitesse MAF I have), bigger injectors, DP wastegate, MBC, 3" exhaust and perhaps an upgraded turbo.

I think this setup strikes a nice balance of decent horsepower, great driveability, good spread of torque and hardly any loss of reliability. How do you like your setup Matt and how much power is your car making with it.?
Thanks! The car was down for over 5 years, and getting it back together has been a 6 month project. I'm quite happy with the results, and I'm glad I took my time because I learned a lot, and I plan to keep the car for a very long time.

You pretty much summarized my goals with the car, I want respectable performance that can hold it's own among most of the late-model "muscle" and performance cars out there, while still being a reliable 80% daily driver.

I don't know what the actual power is just yet, but keep an eye on my rebuild thread - I'll post dyno results there in a week or two after an oil change. I'm trying to get to 800-1000 miles since the Super 53 install, then once I've got fresh oil in there, I'll make an appointment with a local dyno.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:15 PM
spammajamma
Pro

I think I've got this pic resize thing worked out.. Here's a few from when I just got the car. Not that is has changed much since, besides more leaves on the trees.. '89 944 Turbo S black with linen interior, M030 option, LSD, forged wheels, big radial brakes, aircon converted to R134. 91.000 miles, bone stock and never messed with. Seems like it has received much love and spent all its live in a garage when not driven. Enjoy and be gentle on her..
mine's an 89 too. noticed a few differences, euro bumper, no airbags, no split rears, perfect interior too
that car is very clean for 20+ years, nice find, the best year they made them imho
whoever had it before took care of it
These cars can be money pits if maintenance was put off.
4800 us dollars...that was great deal!, did you still have to pay 180% sales tax and the 25% on top of that? that would be another $8700 plus $1200
It can't be that much?
was basing it on the kroner conversion to US dollars
Old 10-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Did the DME temp sensor sort out the richness?
Old 10-02-2011, 03:48 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Very nice car. But I'm confused. Why did you feel the need to tell us you were a Virgin?

Quick Reply: Virgin Porsche owner..