Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

anyone install a filter relocation kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:32 PM
jss
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone install a filter relocation kit?

was thinking to do something like this. hate how the oil filter makes a mess
Old 09-22-2011, 07:16 PM
ChrisLovin
Instructor

I'm not familiar with the kit where would it relocate it. And who sells this?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jss
was thinking to do something like this. hate how the oil filter makes a mess
I would love to hear this one....
This car has less than no room in the engine bay ...
It's like the old saying, Fitting 10 pounds of **** in a 5 pound bag ....
I think Porsche did that on purpose, just to have someone else do your, "Oil pouring all over the place oil changes ... "
I once saw a guy who had a Miata that did that move but that's a whole different car in many ways
Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've seen a custom job wich used some braided lines and was relocated into the front guard (left side looking towards the back) with a custom oil filter.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:02 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I would love to hear this one....
This car has less than no room in the engine bay ...
It's like the old saying, Fitting 10 pounds of **** in a 5 pound bag ....
I think Porsche did that on purpose, just to have someone else do your, "Oil pouring all over the place oil changes ... "
I once saw a guy who had a Miata that did that move but that's a whole different car in many ways
It's funny cause it's true! The 951 is one packed solid engine bay! It's sorta like the big block Chevy of 4 cylinders!

Summit Racing would have the parts but I don't know the specs on the adapter, I'm sure someone on here does though?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:09 PM
spammajamma
Pro

Default our hands show the tight clearances, think I have a few permanent scars

Originally Posted by schip43
It's funny cause it's true! The 951 is one packed solid engine bay! It's sorta like the big Chevy of 4 cylinders!

Summit Racing would have the parts but I don't know the specs on the adapter, I'm sure someone on here does though?
thin gloves keep the hands clean but there are some sharp edges you have to work against
Old 09-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
i've seen a custom job wich used some braided lines and was relocated into the front guard (left side looking towards the back) with a custom oil filter.
Sorry but what is, "the front guard ? is that the bumper?
Love to see a picture

It's funny cause it's true! The 951 is one packed solid engine bay! It's sorta like the big block Chevy of 4 cylinders!

I would love to see that set up ...

Best regards
Ed
Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Sorry but what is, "the front guard ? is that the bumper?
Love to see a picture
Whoops wrong lingo. Front fender.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I just found that thread, it wasn't in the fender, just though it was because it's blocked off.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...a-project.html
Old 09-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Don't get me wrong, the 951 engine bay is packed, but it's not nearly as packed as some other cars...

my M5 has a 5L V8 stuffed into an engine bay that was intended for a ~3L L6. The factory manual calls for something like 14hrs to R&R the exhaust manifolds.

My buddy's Lotus Esprit V8 has a 3.5L V8 and two turbos stuffed into a hole that was designed to hold a 2L L4. It took us about 7 hours to change out an alternator in that car.

Have you ever seen the engine bay of an old Mercedes-Benz 280SL? I don't remember the displacement, but it's a pretty big V8, with ultra complex mechanical fuel injection in a car the size of a shoe box.

I think what makes the 951 engine bay seem so extremely packed is that they put stuff in stupid places... like the oil filter. Any BMW or Merc from that era would have used a relocated canister filter well before stuffing it down in a hole (although it's worthy to note that Merc did relocate the filters on the 300E in the 90's, but they relocated it to in between the head and the firewall... not the best choice for placement). Then there's the turbo... it's on the wrong side of the engine, and, as such, there's a ton of plumbing that wouldn't be necessary otherwise. These things, along with the fact that the engine is laying on it's side serve to create a very stuffed-looking (and feeling) engine bay, when, in fact, there's not really that much stuff in there. Don't get me wrong, I love my 951, but there are definitely times where I just can't figure what they were thinking when they put stuff where they did..
Old 09-23-2011, 01:30 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Worst that I've every worked-on:
Nissan 300zx twin-turbo... You cannot even see the turbochargers without getting under the car.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:58 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

The main problem with 944 engine bay is the fact it was designed for Audi 2.0L engine. Shouldn't be too difficult to find available parts to relocate oil filter. Most likely we are going to do that on son's project 951. I just hate oil changes with these cars; you just never get old filter off the car without messing with used oil.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:50 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

In car factories, the whole powertrain/front&rear suspension assembly is bolted together at once on the shell.
Placing the oil filter on a place remote from the powertrain would have certainly resulted in an interference as the powertrain assembly is lifted onto the shell, meaning adding a step in the assembly process and increasing manufacturing cost.

A filthy-looking engine actually is not a problem in itself if it doesn't leak oil, as a cover of filth prevents corrosion. Depends if you want to use the car for what it's been designed for (driving all year long) or only look at it.

Though it will be easier to spot oil leaks on a perfectly shiny engine, especially in the area of the thermostat housing, I'm not sure moving the oil filter away is a better solution than simply power-washing this area after each oil filter replacement.

Last edited by Thom; 09-23-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 AM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

I relocated my oil filter using a Canton billet filter mount to the side of the radiator housing behind the drivers side fog light. Take off the bat wing and it is right there. My car is a LS1 conversion so, the line routing is easier. I don't remember if anything was there before or not.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:07 PM
jss
Pro

I am going to do custom more so just asking where to find the plate that fits onto our oil filter housing

Last edited by jss; 09-24-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Quick Reply: anyone install a filter relocation kit?