Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Scared of mileage, should I be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Medski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I heeded your advice and going to go check (pick-up mostlikely) that higher mileage car, based on it's maintenance:

Cam belt ,Balance shaft belt, Front crank seal ( called oil pump seal ) Balance seal, Balance shaft housing seal , Balance shaft rollers , Water pump and Thermostat , Turbo Thermostat , Power steering hose,Rear hatch struts , Disc. Cap and rotor ---------- All changed in the spring of 2011.

Rt, and Lt. lower front control arms replaced in Oct 2010. Aligned this spring 2011

All Vac. lines changed MAY 2009

Plugs and wires Aug. 2011.

# 2-3 Exhaust Header replaced May 2011

Kumho Tires- Fronts Aug. 2009 , Rears Aug. 2010

AC condencer June 2008 along with 134 changover

Starter Aug 2008

Turbo coolant line Aug. 2011

I HAVE RECEIPTS FOR ALL THE WORK SINCE 1999

Head Gasket is Good. Turbo has a slight external oil leak , acculates on exhaust pipe leading to turbo.
Any warnings about that turbo sligth leak?

Also carfax checks up.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:16 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When do we say welcome aboard?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:21 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea.... Cant wait to see her/him... Lol. Guys on this board are a wealth of info as I've been learning as I go along... It's been tons of fun...pics please
Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I'd prefer to find a higher-mileage car, because I drive mine quite a bit. It's just a toy but I like to drive. If I started off with a low-mileage car, it would be a high-mileage car by the time I got rid of it... and the premium I'd have paid for the low-mileage would be lost (plus I'd probably still be out the same repair $$.)
My position exactly! I bought my 176k mile car knowing that the motor had recent bearings, pan gasket, baffles, and a oil pick-up tube..it didn't smoke, so I figured the cylinders and rings are ok. It also had a Turbo S suspension transplant, so I knew it had some upgraded parts. What I didn't know at the time was that the funky bubbling in the coolant tank meant that the head gasket was blown... my fault. When the head gasket went completely, I parked it for a while, but now everything from the block-up is fresh or new, and while I still expect maintenance issues to come up, I'm confident that I've got a good motor. The body is straight, the interior is pretty clean, and the car drives nice. I'm quite happy with my high mileage 951!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Medski
Instructor

Originally Posted by tkrtape12
Yea.... Cant wait to see her/him... Lol. Guys on this board are a wealth of info as I've been learning as I go along... It's been tons of fun...pics please
Coming in a few mins!

Originally Posted by schip43
When do we say welcome aboard?
Like now!

It's been a wicked 2 days, started with work, followed by a 15 hour 4 different buses ride. Then a guy lost in Toledo trying to find something to eat.

Then it happenned, the 951 that was going to be mine arrived.

The seller has been a delight to meet and deal with. Thanks again for the tips, and the food!

It's got factory sport seats and factory LSD. AC, CC, sunroof, alarm..everything works. There is just a weird thing going on with the door lock. (Right door locks and unlocks both sides, left one unlocks both, but only locks left side...?)

pics:

Got manuals, faqs, a ton of maintenance record files.. etc.

I didnt have time to wash it yet...
Old 09-24-2011, 07:39 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the pics are kinda hughe but welcome aboard! And what no rock chips on the nose? Some dumb *** replaced my original sport seats! And (again!) no cracks in the seats?
Old 09-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Medski
Instructor

Seat were recovered, (i also have the previous cover) and car was repainted in 2007.

Yeah couldn't find a way to resize the pics from the iphone. Now, the waiting game, waiting in Port huron, MI, till tuesday so i can cross the border. Weird 72h wait time for the customs paper work.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Very nice! Congrats!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:05 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!

Quick Reply: Scared of mileage, should I be?