Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fuel injector cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 10:43 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Fuel injector cleaning

I'm getting a slight surging under acceleration that my mechanic thinks might be dirty injectors. I've tried running a fuel additive but it hasn't made much difference. Now I'm thinking about having them cleaned and flow tested by a local company that specializes in this. Has anyone tried this? I'd like to keep my costs down, so I'm wondering if I should go this route or just buy new ones.
jp
Old 02-20-2002, 11:59 PM
Jerry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I have heard it is not much more to buy new ones and then you will know that two or three years from now they should still be good.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:38 AM
txhedg
Racer

cleaning is about $25 per injector....a good bit less than new. have them tested for flow rate before and after so you know what shape they were/are in.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:43 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good advice on testing twice. I usually buy new, but a) injectors are easy to remove and install, b) I'm not sure they are the problem and c) cleaning is only C$25 and new ones run close to C$200 each. Thanks, jp
Old 02-21-2002, 04:50 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

I had my injectors cleaned on the car with a set-up that connected a pressurized can of some kind of cleaner directly to the fuel rail with the fuel from the tank disconnected so that the car was running on the can of mystery cleaner. A year later after taking my intake off, I see that the "cleaner" has removed every bit of carbon/resin from every surface the cleaner contacted. The backs of the valves were mirror-like. You could even see the spray pattern of the injectors at the end of the manifold runners. Keep in mind this car has 165,000 miles on it and the head has never been off.

Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaning