Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine Troubles... (oil coolant mix, overheating)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 04:19 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long did the car stand between the head gasket failure and the new head gasket install?
You might be surprised how much coolant can drain down the oil galleries while the engine just sits with a bad hg. I was convinced I had a coolant to oil leak, but it turned out to take several oil flushes to get rid of the coolant that had sat in the oil pan for a few months before my hg repair.

Try draining and flushing with new oil one or twice, and carefully bleeding the coolant system before trying anything else.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Car stood a while between head gasket failure and new head gasket install. Head gasket failed (well I thought it did, now I'm not sure) November 2010-ish, Finally took the head off around May this year, put the head back on around a month ago.

The car is in RI and I live in Boston, so that would explain the time between everything...

BTW I installed the steam vent kit from lindsey also, and bled many times but I suggest that perhaps the coolant level was dropping enough to add more air to the system.

Maybe I will try new oil a couple times but I'm not sure if that will solve my coolant loss or overheating. It might just be better for me to reseal the oil cooler before wasting more money on oil. just in case..
Old 09-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
Since you did the head job what condition was the gasket in? Also as mentioned a combustion gas test kit is a great little thing to have. mine cost me $60. Not sure where you get one for $5
The headgasket didn't look nearly as bad as other headgaskets I've done (I've done several on several vehicles). Couldn't really tell if in fact it was the culprit. I'm pretty sure at this point that it was not. I'll look into a combustion gas kit. Anyone have a model/brand suggestion?

Originally Posted by Tedro951
I was thinking he mentioned that he doesn't trust the gauge.

If it was mine, I'd do the $5.00/5 minute test for combustion gasses, then go from there.
I'm pretty sure I trust the gauge now. After this last run, just as the coolant started pissing out, I read the cam tower and block wherever I could find a spot with a laser temp gauge, and got 200-210. My NA reads more like 160-180.

Does anyone know what the red area of the temp gauge on the dash represents? I also installed a new temp sensor before that fateful drive.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:52 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CF4Q8wIwAg

This is the kit i own. You can youtube how to use it but its fairly straight forward

Quick Reply: Engine Troubles... (oil coolant mix, overheating)