Stock 88' turbo S chips Or timing chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 10:43 AM
p951s
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Stock 88' turbo S chips Or timing chip

Hello everyone,
I am searchinhg for stock chipset for my 88 951S. I have been fighting a detonation problem for, well as long as i have had the car. Thye car came with really old autothority stage 2 chipset. I think the timing is far too aggressive. The car will audibly detonate under load not really boost dependant, it has on 10psi to 15psi and my EGT doesnt go up. I have thrown more fuel at it and it doesnt consistently help. So i want to try the stock timing chip as an experiment.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:05 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think something else must be out of whack here. The APE chips are typically programmed for 15-18psi of boost of so. Meaning at 10-15psi, you should have less ignition advance than optimal (far away from knock limit) and more fuel than optimal as well, giving sluggish partial-throttle/mid-RPM response.

You could try dialing back 3 degrees of ignition with the FQS switch.

Going back to stock chips would be a good troubleshooting step. Make sure you remove the restricted banjo-bolt too. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:44 AM
p951s
AutoX

Thanks for the reply,
do yopu know which position the FQS switch is in stock? Mine was zero 0 fuel 0 timing, i changed it to five +3 fuel -2.7 timing. I havent had a chance to test yet. I have to finish the head gasket, im getting really proficient with these. Ive had the head of 5 times this year. LOL
Anyway, does anyone have a stock timing chip to sell, rent, or loan?????? I live in va.
thanks
arthur
Old 02-19-2002, 03:40 AM
Danno
Race Director

Hmmm, where did you get the info on the FQS switch? These are the only ones I recommend:
  • <a href="http://members.tripod.com/944dme" target="_blank">http://members.tripod.com/944dme</a> (F.R. Wilk's site)
  • <a href="http://members.tripod.com/944dme/switch.htm" target="_blank">http://members.tripod.com/944dme/switch.htm</a> (the switch)
  • <a href="http://BonnevilleMotorWerks.com/fqs.html" target="_blank">http://BonnevilleMotorWerks.com/fqs.html</a> (86+ cars only)
If you got your info from the 944FAQ or Bill Underwoods site (replicates 944FAQ FQS settings), then YOU'RE RISKING SERIOUS ENGINE DAMAGE.

Here's a reminder for everyone: DO NOT USE THE FUEL-QUALITY SWITCH (FQS) SETTINGS FROM THE 944FAQ. It is simply WRONG.

Hmmm, so you're still getting knock with the ignition dialed back, eh? Something else is seriously wrong with the car then. I'd check to make fuel-pressure is within spec (clogged fuel-filter, bad pump, bad regulator/dampener, etc.). Also a possibility your O2-sensor is bad as well.

Does the knocking/pinging only occur at partial-throttle? What about full-throttle?
Old 02-19-2002, 03:53 PM
p951s
AutoX

I used the one from bonneville motorsports. They seem to have a clue. Do you disagree with my earlier post?? Did i do it wrong?????

Thanks
arthur
Old 02-19-2002, 04:05 PM
p951s
AutoX

Actually i have not tried it with the change. I have a 3 bar regulator,which works, i have plenty of fuel, and my egt doesnt go over 1250 deg. Im really sure it is a timing issue. If the timing is too advanced then it will tart to burn the feul to early. while the piston is still moving up. Ive used colder plugs, polished the combustion chambers, removed the cat, installed an egt in the cylynder that keeps blowing #4, ive got new plug wires, i do have a k27/8 but it acted the same on the k26/8. ive had this car for almost 2 years and the solution has always been to drive it easy. But now im determined to fix it. I feel i have been pretty thorough, am i missing something????/

thanks
arthur
Old 02-19-2002, 07:35 PM
aka 951
Pro

change the chipset pronto
Old 02-19-2002, 09:32 PM
p951s
AutoX

So what are "Steve R" chips? What is the best set to get for an 88 turboS with a k27/8, Non turbo cam,mild port work, oringed head, 3 bar regulator, New bottom end, balance shafts removed, no cat, manual ball spring type boost controller, I'd like 15 to 20psi???

Thanks
art
Old 02-19-2002, 09:53 PM
aka 951
Pro

Sounds like you have some funky mods...is that a street car?
Old 02-19-2002, 10:02 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
p951s,

could you please respond to the post "Who has done away with balance shafts? " that is in the 924/944/951/968 section for Larry parker and I? we are really curious to hear what difference elliminating balance shafts does?

It' s currently on the "2nd" page
Old 02-20-2002, 05:10 AM
Danno
Race Director

[quote]What is the best set to get for an 88 turboS with a k27/8, Non turbo cam,mild port work, oringed head, 3 bar regulator, New bottom end, balance shafts removed, no cat, manual ball spring type boost controller, I'd like 15 to 20psi???<hr></blockquote>Yeah, I agree with Erick, those are simply bizarre mods. There's simply no way a set of chips programmed for the stock turbo, stock cams & head, stock FPR, stock catalyzed exhaust, stock KLR/CV will ever work for your combination of parts. In fact, there are no off-the-shelf chips ANYWHERE that you could buy for ANY amount of $$$ that will have your car run properly. You need dyno-testing and custom chips burned for your car. Start driving now to Speedforce Racing in San Diego and have them dyno your car and burn you two sets of chips; one for 15psi and another for 20psi of boost.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:53 AM
p951s
AutoX

Talking

The thing is this car did the exact same thing, bone stock, i dont think my mods are that bizzare, I think those are the minimum one should do, at least make everything optimal. Anyway I have a mass air for the car and want to install it but if i cant get the timing situation under control then the feul adjustment will never be right, All i want is for ther car to not knock. arrrgh. This is frustrating because i have alot of experience with turbo cars, hell ive put turbos on cars not meant for them with 10:1 compression and they never knock. Im really dont want to go standalone yet.

Thanks everyone
arthur
Old 02-20-2002, 01:49 PM
aka 951
Pro

It seems like you're getting too much timing on the lower end of the map. You'll probbaly need at the minimum a device that can pull bakc the timing, at least until you get farther up the map. I'd say go for custom chips, but you have have to be close to a Porsche tuner who can do this - maybe autothority? If not, get your hands on a TMC1. I believe the TMC allows you to alter your timing at different parts of the map - disclaimer...I have no experience with the TMC1.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:38 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Running 87 octane???
Old 07-24-2002, 12:02 AM
Flight_951
Pro

[quote]Originally posted by aka 951:
<strong>I'd say go for custom chips, but you have have to be close to a Porsche tuner who can do this - maybe autothority?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I called Autothority today about custom chips for my (basically stock) car including the required dyno/tuning time since I live nearby. The quote was $400-$500, and I already purchased the APE II chips. Hopefully, the poster can find a cheaper and maybe better chip set somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Stock 88' turbo S chips Or timing chip