Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

oil smell ONLY under boost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 04:34 PM
9milphil
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post oil smell ONLY under boost?

Anyone have any ideas? - I just got the car and I am thinking it has to do with a turbine shaft seal or something like that....any help here would be appreciated as I know just enough to get me in trouble!!! -

9milphil
Old 02-18-2002, 10:08 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

I am getting the same thing. also just bought mine.. when i push it into boost, i can smell oil when i get out from under the hood. i am almost positive my motor is not leaking.. it is very clean underneath. (the dealership thought it was a rebuild).. any ideas?
Old 02-18-2002, 10:33 AM
p951s
AutoX

Hello guys,
I have a few ideas on the smell, check the crankcase vent system (pcv) from the oil seperator to inlet of turbo. These cars will have positive crankcase pressure under boost. and if there is a small air leak in the vent system, you can get a misty oil smell when you run it hard. the other thing is to check the rear hatch gasket it is really common for them to let in exhaust gas that under boost smells bad. Thats the two things i found on my car. hope it helps

arthur
88'951S
Old 02-19-2002, 01:55 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Guy's looking at a K26 or most turbos exploded veiws, there are no mechanical seals per say.
There are rings that somewhat seal the passing of oil into the intake and exhaust tracts, but to my knowledge, the pressure of the above tracts is what really keeps the oil where it belongs...
A certain amount of oil consumption is normal, just pull an intercooler pipe, and look inside, you will find oil there. It accumulates because the airspeed of the intake flow is lessened by the design of the intercooler.
Try removng it and cleaning it out thoroughly, with chemicals, then soap and water, and allowing ample time for drying, before buying a new turbo..

Just my 2c worth...

Quick Reply: oil smell ONLY under boost?