Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Random ass starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well "not good" is completely different from "you will ruin it by push starting the car". I have never heard of a catalytic converter being ruined or really even damaged by push starting a car, ever.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:19 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 728 Likes on 510 Posts

I dont have the cat installed so no worries on that issure.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JJK78
Well "not good" is completely different from "you will ruin it by push starting the car". I have never heard of a catalytic converter being ruined or really even damaged by push starting a car, ever.
Ever read your car factory manual? See what it says about push starting a car...

Have you heard of someone push starting a car to begin with?
Old 09-21-2011, 02:09 AM
spanky
Rennlist Member

My update is as follows, On Sat I disconnected both reference sensors, ohm tested them as per Clarks, contact cleaned the connectors and reconnected each. Removed the DME and KLR from their mounts, inspected both wiring harnesses ( found nothing amiss/loose/ broken), cleaned both points of connection also with contact cleaner( DME,s and harnesses) Put everything back together.Started the car up and let it run in in the garage for an hour at 3500rpm until it was hot. At the end of this 1 hour run. I shut it doun and did 25 repeated restarts over the next 2 hours never allowing the car to cool down. Car started every single time. I then drove the car for anther 2 hrs stopping here and there , shuting it down and restarting it 4 diffrent times. Each damm time it restarted. My new reference sensors arrived this morning and to be safe I plan to install them this upcoming weekend but this may have been a case of dirty connectors for thr 2 sensors or the BME/ harnesss units. I dont know.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:28 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just read every post here, and will say confidently you BOTH need to check the Solder Joints of the large Transistor on the DME Board.

This Transistor controls ignition, and gets very hot while running. After 20+ years of getting Very Hot and Cold, this Joint forms very small cracks; This causes intermittent Stalling/No Start... Eventually when it cracks completely the car will never start.

I just had this happen a few months ago, all these exact symptoms happened to me.

It require Re-Soldering the Connection;
**As a Note: i had never Soldered in my life. Just bought a Cheap Iron, Some Solder, and Went to Work! It is Very Easy, and My Car is fixed! Click Below

CLICK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck, Let me know if this works!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:45 AM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Im more than willing to look into this as being the root cause for my issure's. thanks for this advice and pic's.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:24 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Last weekend the 2 new reference sensors were changed out with 2 new units, a very straight forward process. i have large hands so it was a tight fit. The car started up and was driven all wkend( sat sunday), restarted each and every tine with no sign of not wanting to fire up . Im not ready to declare victory yet but so far so good. Will keep you posted if any thing related to this issure reappears. Take care!!!

Last edited by spanky; 09-28-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:22 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a valve that controls fuel line pressure that can cause the same types of no start issues. I have forgotten the name of the valve but you can find it with a search. If this valve fails, the fuel line does not maintain pressure and the car won't start. It also starts as an intermittent issue. I installed a fuel pressure gauge on my fuel rail to diagnose this problem.
Continuously cranking the car won't help get it started. Short cranks(1.5 -2 seconds) work eventually. Each time you crank MIGHT give you fuel pressure and then the car will start.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:33 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There's a check valve in the banjo fitting at the fuel pump, but that is not required to run the car. All it does is maintain pressure for quicker starts... without it, you just have to crank an extra couple of seconds.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:02 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
There's a check valve in the banjo fitting at the fuel pump, but that is not required to run the car. All it does is maintain pressure for quicker starts... without it, you just have to crank an extra couple of seconds.
That's the valve I was thinking of. Extra cranking did not help in my case. I had crank over and over again until one of the cranks caused pressure.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by azbanks
That's the valve I was thinking of. Extra cranking did not help in my case. I had crank over and over again until one of the cranks caused pressure.
Per Lindsey instructions when upgrading to the HV or 044 fuel pumps, my check valve is drilled out - gone completely. I've also enlarged the holes through the banjo fitting. Now everything is the size of the hole through the fuel filter, something like 9/32".

Maybe your check valve was stuck closed?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:32 PM
CRBennington
Advanced

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Would this missing sensor have something to do with it? Especially considering the starting issues fluctuating with the weather? I thought the missing one was the temp gauge sensor, but the gauge works well. Temp gauge comes up sitting in crappy traffic and goes down in highway cruising.

If I do have tach bounce, both right before starting and even during the no start issues, can I rule out reference sensor completely?

Last edited by CRBennington; 10-18-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: image post fail
Old 10-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres TWO Temperture sensors, one for the gauge, and one for the DME - acts like an electric choke by adjusting fuel mixture depending on engine temp.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:58 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The empty hole in your picture is not for a sensor, it is not used as far as I know. My '86 head doesn't even have a threaded hole there - it's filled.

The green arrow points to the DME temp sensor, the red arrow points to the gauge temp sensor. If either of these sensors were missing, you'd have coolant spewing out all over the place...

Old 10-18-2011, 11:17 PM
CRBennington
Advanced

Well crap. Thought I was on to something. So the one on the left in that picture is the DME temp sensor though?

Quick Reply: Random ass starting issue