Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FOUND OUT, exactly what I have

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The use of toulene should have NO effect on a wide band o2 sensor toulene is the #1 chemical used by o.e gas manufatures to boost oct. of fuel

There was a guy in the shop today that works with "ron" the turbo masarati guy, He did a test with toulene while working for ford & testing a turbo 6 they where workin on in the past.... He told me today that it should have no effect on 02 sensors and showed no effect on there testing.....as it has the same specific gravity as auto fuel......... But avgas would show a higher a/f than autogas as its lighter........
Old 04-16-2003, 11:52 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

ever you told me the other day Larry that the specific gravities are different. I found an article of "tuning w/ toulene".

it's not the specific gravity that throws off the sensor, it's the water produced when toulene burns. (what I've read and been told)

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Larry Parker:
<strong>#1 chemical used by o.e gas manufatures to boost oct. of fuel
........</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">in 6oz portions. not 10,12 20%....ect
Old 04-17-2003, 02:37 AM
JJ951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luke is your turbo a BB? When do you reach full boost?

Tim is it still possible to get lukes turbo
Old 04-17-2003, 03:04 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Toulene added in a small percentage shouldn't effect WB reading. I will check with my main source this weekend....a retired research chemist (my father).
Old 04-17-2003, 03:35 AM
TurboTim
Banned

If i'm right, I should see 320ish @ 18psi with a safe mixture

One of our customers just dynoed his 60-1 hi-fi BB with a true Garret hotside(the A.R and turbine trim will remain a secret though. ha, ha) and he made 354 or 359 ( I forget) at 13 psi, on a Dynojet. This was a 2.5L on pump gas and it had the stock chips in it too! He has most of the componenets we are using in the 420 power package. At 18 psi, it should make about 420 at the wheels on a 2.5L. We will find out soon enough. You dont need to run crazy boost and race gas to make power. I would like to eclipse the 400 horsepower at the wheels mark, with the least amount of boost possible, using pump gas and still retain the stock bottom-end doing it:^)
Old 04-17-2003, 04:05 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"it's not the specific gravity that throws off the sensor, it's the water produced when toulene burns. (what I've read and been told)"

Uhhh, what's the byproducts of burning hydrocarbons???
Old 04-17-2003, 05:26 AM
MildMax951
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> Uhhh, what's the byproducts of burning hydrocarbons??? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Well said
Old 04-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"The use of toulene should have NO effect on a wide band o2 sensor toulene is the #1 chemical used by o.e gas manufatures to boost oct. of fuel"

Right. In the U.S. gasoline can have up to about 30% aromatic hydrocarbons (ring-shaped). This is primarily toluene and xylene. Germany can have up to 40% aromatics which would increase octane by about 5%. Race gas is composed primarily of octane-boosting aromatics like toluene and xylene. Yes, they have higher specific gravity, so you end up a little ricer when using such cocktails.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Danno:
<strong>
Yes, they have higher specific gravity, so you end up a little richer when using such cocktails.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">richer on the reading or mixture? I was under the impression that Toul. and Xylene weighed less and therefor you had to squirt more. (same w/ av gas)

Quick Reply: FOUND OUT, exactly what I have