Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Care of 7 spoke forged wheels on Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 04:22 AM
jakemp
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Care of 7 spoke forged wheels on Turbo S

Can anyone add any more to this exchange on the topic of care of these wheels?

Thanks,

>User
>
>User # 535
>
> posted 04-03-2002 17:36
>
>I have an '88 944 Turbo S with the forged aluminum 7-spoke Club Sport (I think thats what they are named) wheels. I'm in need of the alloy type and temper. Thanks!

> posted 04-23-2002 10:35
>
>Can't reply but may I be cheeky and ask a question as I have the same car/wheels? I was told that ordinary alloy wheel cleaner should not be used on these. Is that right? Is the Zymol one ok? They say it is! What do you use to clean and protect them?
>
>User
>
>User
>My wheels were quite dirty and I resorted to using Eagle Wheel Cleaner. It helped and I didn't notice any damage. And I drenched the wheels in the cleaner as well. I understand that these wheels are anodized (hard I'd guess). Aside from the face, they are still need a lot of work. I will be refinishing them later this year. By the way, I have factory brake pads (coming out this weekend) and they leave a lot of dust.
>
>I'm not familiar with Zymol One so I'm sorry I can't really comment. They (Zymol) makes nice products so I'd trust their instructions.
>User
>
>User

Thanks. That's interesting.

I actually had mine refinished by a wheel refurbishing place in London, but it was expensive - £180 per wheel. They machined (ground) the surface then sent them away for re-anodisation. The wheels look much better now, but you can't get into the corners between the spokes and it's difficult to do much about the insides.

The wheel man said that anodisation is a process which deepens the aluminium oxide layer on the surface of the aluminium alloy to provide better corrosion resistance. He said that the layer is porous, so rubbing high temp grease into it (or petroleum jelly) can stop it being stained by dirt and salt etc. That's what I did for the insides, but for the polished faces I use a (Zymol) wax polish. He also said that normal wheel cleaners can etch the anodised surface (because they are acid?).

Some people chrome plate the wheels, or powder coat them, or just paint the insides.

Mike
Old 05-10-2002, 11:09 PM
Flight_951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by jakemp:
<strong>Can anyone add any more to this exchange on the topic of care of these wheels?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wash my wheels with the same soap I'm using for the rest of the car. I don't use any wheel cleaners. Ocassionally, I'll wax the face of the wheel with Zymol after washing. It gets the remaining dirt off quickly and adds a nice shine. Not sure how long it lasts.

Quick Reply: Care of 7 spoke forged wheels on Turbo S