Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another help me choose turbo thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:30 PM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Another help me choose turbo thread

So, I have started looking at new turbos, and to be honest I have no idea what to buy. Supporting mods will be: M-Tune, injectors and 3" exhaust. Car will be used on mostly narrow tracks, so turbo lag and on/off throttle response is important.

SFR has a few good choices, the GT30R and the Precision both look very tempting. Are there any other experts wort considering? I'd rather put some extra money in to the turbo and get what I want, than go cheap and be unhappy.

http://www.speedforceracing.com/inde...categoryID=585

Please let me know your experiences with different turbos. I'd rather copy a good setup than try to reinvent the wheel again.

Last edited by KSira; 09-08-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-08-2011, 05:17 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I am currently installing a Garrett TO4E .50 trim turbo with a replica KKK#8 turbine housing. May want to check out this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...er-tuning.html

Also, i think I would stay clear of SFR as they seem to be having issues, see here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...sfr-order.html
Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to ^^
Old 09-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KSira
Please let me know your experiences with different turbos. I'd rather copy a good setup than try to reinvent the wheel again.
The 50trim is hard to beat in that case. If you put "50trim 944 turbo" in youtube you'll see a few videos someone posted showing boost response.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:04 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vic at http://www.pauertuning.com/ also sells turbos including GT30R kits
Old 09-08-2011, 07:14 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have many choices, and I've found paying a little more to get exactly what you want is worth the few bucks.

John at www.vitesseracing.com is repuatable, and I haven't heard of any one not happy with his turbos. I referred him to my engine builder, but Garrity chose his own setup, not John's. John is still willing to help me whenever I post with a question.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:03 AM
KSira
Racer

Thanks guys. Vitesse looks good, but being a non BB turbo the on/off throttle response worries me a bit. Have read a lot of good things about Garrett TO4E .50 trim and GT30 turbos. Does anyone have experience with both turbos? It would be great if someone could comment on how they compare.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:22 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
You have many choices, and I've found paying a little more to get exactly what you want is worth the few bucks.

John at www.vitesseracing.com is repuatable, and I haven't heard of any one not happy with his turbos. I referred him to my engine builder, but Garrity chose his own setup, not John's. John is still willing to help me whenever I post with a question.
+1 John's kit is awesome I can't speak for the other kits, as I have no experience with them... It took me 6+ years to install John's ,
I really can't see anything being better ...I just dont know how ...... It's more than I could have ever expected ...
Old 09-09-2011, 05:27 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you looking for bolt on?
will you be up for mods? if yes how much would you be up for? (mod the exhaust, custom up pipe ect)
Old 09-09-2011, 05:57 AM
KSira
Racer

Originally Posted by Paulyy
are you looking for bolt on?
will you be up for mods? if yes how much would you be up for? (mod the exhaust, custom up pipe ect)
It has to bolt on to the engine mounting, but welding new flanges to x-over an DP should no be a massive problem. I assume that suppliers like Lindsey would have no problem supplying a DP with the proper mounting. Actually, V-Band clamps would be really neat when doing maintenance work.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:18 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

It has to bolt on to the engine mounting, but welding new flanges to x-over an DP should no be a massive problem. I assume that suppliers like Lindsey would have no problem supplying a DP with the proper mounting. Actually, V-Band clamps would be really neat when doing maintenance work.
i'd take the GT30R out of the picture then.
have a quick look through my thread Here and you'll see what needs to be done for a GT30R install. it's not finished yet but you'll see.

the GT30R can bolt on to the stock mounts, just need to grind the mount down abit and find longer bolts and a t3/t4 to gt30r adapter to bolt on but the down pipe and xover wont line up with the exhaust housing.

You're better off going with vitesse, i know you're not to happy about it because its not dbb and you want quick spool. but from alot of reasearch i've done and asking questions, talking to john and others, the vittesse turbos spool up exactly like the 26/8 and deliver good power.

unless you can find a t04e 50 trim with a #8 rear housing go for that turbo or even #10 rear housing id go for either of those. i know Pauertuning use to sell them but they've stopped when i last checked but was at the start of the year. dosn't hurt to send him an email asking about those turbos though.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:33 AM
KSira
Racer

Originally Posted by Paulyy
i'd take the GT30R out of the picture then.
have a quick look through my thread Here and you'll see what needs to be done for a GT30R install. it's not finished yet but you'll see.

the GT30R can bolt on to the stock mounts, just need to grind the mount down abit and find longer bolts and a t3/t4 to gt30r adapter to bolt on but the down pipe and xover wont line up with the exhaust housing.

You're better off going with vitesse, i know you're not to happy about it because its not dbb and you want quick spool. but from alot of reasearch i've done and asking questions, talking to john and others, the vittesse turbos spool up exactly like the 26/8 and deliver good power.

unless you can find a t04e 50 trim with a #8 rear housing go for that turbo or even #10 rear housing id go for either of those. i know Pauertuning use to sell them but they've stopped when i last checked but was at the start of the year. dosn't hurt to send him an email asking about those turbos though.
What about SFR GT30R? (not considering their delivery problem) http://www.speedforceracing.com/index.php?productID=768

I do wonder how much better a GT30 would be, is it worth going through all that trouble you are doing? Also did not CEP make a GT30 engine mount?
Old 09-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You need to get the car tuned right. I went with a garrett hybrid turbo capable of 650hp+, 3" down pipe. Not that this motor could handle that HP. Also went with 3bar reg, upgraded motor and the Mtune with 80lb injectors. You need to put the whole thing together on paper first. Once you have an idea what you are looking for, then see what your pocket can handle and go for it. I had my turbo built by Gpopshop.com They are in arkansas, look them up. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:46 AM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about SFR GT30R? (not considering their delivery problem) http://www.speedforceracing.com/index.php?productID=768

I do wonder how much better a GT30 would be, is it worth going through all that trouble you are doing? Also did not CEP make a GT30 engine mount?
I'd love to get my hands on a CEP mount but it sure is hard trying to get ahold of anyone.... and I'm afraid to do business with SFR anymore!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

their turbos are the same just have t04e housings on them so i'm pretty sure they're the same.

is it worth the trouble? i don't know to be honest. it depends if you like fab/custom work. i don't mind it, i quite enjoy it.. but that's me. the real reason why i wanted a gt30r was because of the low back pressure hot housings compared to the kkk ones.

CEP did make a gt turbo mount, so did TiAL. give them an email or a call for their mount. i'm pretty sure Patrick (333pg333) has 1 lying around if i can recall.

it's just the custom down pipe and up pipe you'll need to fab up and that's it.

Quick Reply: Another help me choose turbo thread