Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Reliaboost-1 with loss of boost

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 06:11 PM
gatorbait
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Reliaboost-1 with loss of boost

Need help. After running fine for hours this morning, I noticed a sudden drop in power while into boost.

I only have the factory boost gauge, but where I was previously able to pin the needle at 2-bar, I can now only build boost to 1.75 bar before the wastegate opens.

I have a Reliaboost-1 controller that came pre- set at 15 psi. It's worked well until today. Is there some way I can readjust the Reliaboost so that the wastegate won't open too early?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA,
Andy
Old 05-27-2003, 06:55 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Is there some way I can readjust the Reliaboost so that the wastegate won't open too early?"

Yup, you can adjust the ReliaBoost to increase boost. Check out the manual I have posted here:
<a href="http://www.gururacing.net/Manuals/ReliaBoost1.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.gururacing.net/Manuals/ReliaBoost1.pdf</a>

It's unusual for a sudden loss of boost to be a boost-controller problem though. Disassemble the ReliaBoost to make sure you don't have some kind of crud that's preventing the steel-ball from sealing. This is more of a problem with other check-valve controllers with plastic and rubber innards though.

Other possibilities may be a stuck or broekn wastegate valve that doesn't fully close. Exhaust-restrictions like a clogged cat could also cause low-boost, but that doesn't happen immediately. The other area is a broken CBV-compressor bypass valve that's venting pressurized air back around to the turbo intake (which should only do this on shifts).
Old 05-27-2003, 06:58 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

GATORGAIT
You probably have vacume leak some where.or the wastegate cant hold 15psi if its stock.the stock wastegate cant hold 15psi at the most 12-13psi and 5000rpm about9psi or so.shim the wastegate probably will hold a bit more.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:09 PM
superjet.1
Pro

I would also recomend you get a aftermarket gauge my stock gauge said 2 bar but was actually 22psi when checked with a aftermarket gauge.Ow and your problem is probley a vaccum line has come off.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:58 PM
gatorbait
Instructor

Thanks all.

Turns out that it wasn't the Reliaboost-1 that was the culprit. Had a vacuum line that slipped. Put on a hose clamp--problem resolved, boost is restored to previous level.

Now that all is well, I was thinking of turning up the Reliaboost, courtesy of Danno's instructions, but I read Travis' post about the inaccurate stock boost gauge which read 2-bar but was really 22psi, and now I'm thinking about an aftermarket gauge before making a move.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:54 AM
threesticks1
Instructor

For sure get an after market gage. I did the same thing using the factory gage. I was running closer to 24 psi. Real scarry.

Quick Reply: Reliaboost-1 with loss of boost