Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Nice 944 Turbo in Houston Texas

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Leonel_944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AtharRazvi
Is that you Jose? I recognize the NA's. Congrats on your purchase.
Yea you should come by the shop and check it out. How's your 951 project going?
Old 09-13-2011, 12:29 AM
AtharRazvi
Advanced

It's been slow. I got sent to Louisiana for work, but I come back every weekend to work on the car.

I tried to drop the engine in last week, but I needed more help. I think Richard and Oliver are going to come over Saturday to help me. That car has so many surprises. The car apparently has Big Black brakes, SS brake lines, aftermarket oil cooler, weltmeister rear sway bar. I hope I can get it running by the end of the year. I'll see if I can drop by some time to look at the Turbo. I'm glad you got one (don't sell it!)
Old 09-13-2011, 12:49 AM
olie05
5th Gear

Nice find Jose!

Slownrusty - still have your s130? I don't really get on hybridz much these days.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:58 AM
Leonel_944
Advanced

Originally Posted by AtharRazvi
It's been slow. I got sent to Louisiana for work, but I come back every weekend to work on the car.

I tried to drop the engine in last week, but I needed more help. I think Richard and Oliver are going to come over Saturday to help me. That car has so many surprises. The car apparently has Big Black brakes, SS brake lines, aftermarket oil cooler, weltmeister rear sway bar. I hope I can get it running by the end of the year. I'll see if I can drop by some time to look at the Turbo. I'm glad you got one (don't sell it!)

Let me know when you need a hand I will be willing to assist you. I get off work this saterday at 2:00 just give me a call.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:49 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonel_944
Hahaha depends how much you want to offer and I will maybe consider it
Depending on if the car needs rod \ main bearings....but I have been looking at 951s on and off and they look sharp in white.

Originally Posted by olie05
Slownrusty - still have your s130? I don't really get on hybridz much these days.
Sure do..and still not finished (go figure)..I have been wrapped up with so many other things (you know how that goes). HybridZ has been slow these days. Not to hijack the OP's thread but here is my S130 in its latest iteration:
Old 09-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Leonel_944
Advanced

I did a compression test and leakage test here are the results I drove the car prior to warm it up.

Cylinder 1 -145psi with 12% leakage
2 - 145psi with 24 % leakage
3 - 150psi with 12% leakage
4 - 145psi with 42% leakage!!

And its the rings I hear the air escaping through the oil cap it didt sound like 42% but it was more then the other cylinders I did do the leakage test in a rush when I get another chance I will try the test again

But with these results what is the best path I should take? Refreash the motor? Or just fix what's wroung now and hope for the best?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:02 PM
olie05
5th Gear

With Athar's engine it was easy, the cylinder walls were scratched up really badly, so he went for a full rebuild. (oversize pistons, alusil hone process, etc.)

However, I had an interesting problem with the civic. Cylinder walls looked ok upon visual/finger nail inspection, but the engine was consuming a quart every 500 miles. Turned out that the cylinder walls were distorted pretty badly.

If you take the head off, check for scratches on the cyl. walls. If that checks out, measure the bore at three points up and down parallel and perpendicular to the wrist pins and see if the bores are distorted. If that checks out, pull the pistons and measure them. If the pistons and cyl walls are ok simply replace the rings. Otherwise replace the pistons and rings.

If the bores don't check out, well, you've got a full rebuild on your hands.

P.s. If you don't have a bore gauge I have one for the hondur, but I don't know if it will measure the huge bores of the 944. I'll check the range tonight and bring it by if you want to go through all that measuring stuff.

See this link for info on all the measurements: http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=326
Old 09-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Leonel_944
Advanced

Originally Posted by olie05
With Athar's engine it was easy, the cylinder walls were scratched up really badly, so he went for a full rebuild. (oversize pistons, alusil hone process, etc.)

However, I had an interesting problem with the civic. Cylinder walls looked ok upon visual/finger nail inspection, but the engine was consuming a quart every 500 miles. Turned out that the cylinder walls were distorted pretty badly.

If you take the head off, check for scratches on the cyl. walls. If that checks out, measure the bore at three points up and down parallel and perpendicular to the wrist pins and see if the bores are distorted. If that checks out, pull the pistons and measure them. If the pistons and cyl walls are ok simply replace the rings. Otherwise replace the pistons and rings.

If the bores don't check out, well, you've got a full rebuild on your hands.

P.s. If you don't have a bore gauge I have one for the hondur, but I don't know if it will measure the huge bores of the 944. I'll check the range tonight and bring it by if you want to go through all that measuring stuff.

See this link for info on all the measurements: http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=326
I don't think we have one here at the shop but I will look around maybe Pual has one around somewhere.
I will be sticking a. Tiny camera in the cylinders through the spark plug holes to get a better look without taking the haed off but most likely I will be doing a complete rebuild hopefully just replacing rings, bearings, and seals

Quick Reply: Nice 944 Turbo in Houston Texas