Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1987 951 help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Round3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 951 help

Hey gang. So im looking to get advice on my build. Ive got a bone stock 944turbo from 1987 im looking to do a full performance resto/rebuild. I would like to have somewhere from 350-380 horsepower. Im interested in doing a 2.8l. And i have other ideas as well. But id like to get some suggestions from people who are already there. What they did with their cars. Where they got their parts from etc. So the engine is an obvious that im doing. Id like to make the systems as advanced as possible. Suspension, brakes, wheels, paint( thinking a nice silver with a blue or yellow pearl) The whole shabang. Money isnt of the greatest concern because ive been saving a long time for this project. This is my dream car so im not going to sell it and get a 993 or something like that. I look forward to all your responses.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:20 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

350-380 hp is a easy task with a stock 2.5l. use the search tool on the forum. lindsey racing, vitesse racing, and speed force racing are the big vendors here
Old 09-04-2011, 11:37 AM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Lots of options. +1 on doing some research with the vendors on here and there is a ton of info on different builds and such from 2.5L through 3.1L. Your build will be based on what you will do with the car- street car, track car, DD, or a combination of both- the key is reliability and not all out HP unless you enjoy rebuilds and have deep pockets. For example mine is a weekend street car so i shoot for torque and response over all out hp. Your goal of 350-380 hp is that at the crank or at the wheels? if at the crank then with a good MAF and chips and you are already there with a 2.5L. Once you get to 350-400 to the wheels with reliability then it gets a little trickier and more expensive. It's a slippery slope either way...A healthy 2.5L with matching components and good tune is a lot of fun on the street and can yield 315-320 to the wheels all day. A 2.8L is a nice upgrade and will yield more torque but will need better supporting components and even better tune is needed. Good luck with your build.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

350 rwhp isn't really a hard task IMO.
to get there easly id recommend the following:
- viteese MAF kit or Rogue tuning M-Tune (both are one of the best MAFs out for our cars with true maf codes)
- larger injectors + 3 bar Fuel pressure regulator (you usually choose the injectors the vendrs supply with their maf kits)
- Turbo on ~ 18 psi, either Viteese stage 3 or Lindsey racing Super 53 for a bolt-on option, (go larger will gain you top end power but usually costs you lag)
- 3" turbo back exhaust
- Dual port wastegate (TiAL from pauer tuning or Speed force racing, or lindsey racing dualport which requires you to hand in your wastegate)
- boost contorller, (manual or electric, dosn't really matter)

Quick Reply: 1987 951 help