Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intermittent Boost Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 03:33 PM
Tyler951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Intermittent Boost Problem

I started noticing the problem about a month ago. I always start the car and avoid high revs before she gets properly warmed up. Every day after letting it warm up I get strong boost 1.75 bar. After sitting at idle for a couple of minutes and sometimes after turning off the car for a certain period of time and restarting i can only get to the first notch after one bar at full throttle. I can really tell the proper boost is not there because it just doesn't pull like it should. Again, after sitting at idle for a couple of minutes or turning the car off and restarting after a couple of minutes, i can get much more boost again... but this seems kind of random. Sometimes i get full on boost, sometimes i don't. I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced it and knows what is going on. I have an appointment later this month for new motor mounts and if any thing needs to be checked out reguarding the situation i could maybe do something about it. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Tyler951
Instructor

Upon more driving, i'm pretty sure that i am hearing a hissing sound running at high rpm's in 1st and 2nd gear when my boost meter is only reading about 1.2 bar. I don't seem to be able to get any more boost in any other gears when i am experiencing this problem. It maxes out at 1.2 bar.

This time after being able to get max boost upon initial start-up and warm-up I could not get my boost back after letting the car idle and restarting several times.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:13 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

COULD be you're wg.check around valve for any carbon build up.can be cycling valve to.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:39 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like you have an air leak to me. Did you have any work done to the car right before this started to happen? If so check for lose hose clamps that might have ben taken off when the work was done. If no work was done right before check the rubber boots that connect the inter cooler pipes for cracks or lose clamps. You basically just have to look around for where the air could be leaking from.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:42 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Check for leaks on the pressure side of the intake. However if you have a bad leak on the pressure side, the car will run very rich and will bog down.

I would think that your cycling valve (it controls boost) is going bad. The cycling valve is under your intake manifold between #3,#4 runners.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:21 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also check for fault-codes from the KLR...
Old 07-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Tyler951
Instructor

I have been noticing a lot of carbon build up in my exhaust tip lately... could that be a diagnostic tool of some kind? I never noticed bad build up before so just throwing that out there... I want my boost back!

Fault-codes from the KLR? Does it produce certain codes for different problems that is causing it to not let me build up more than 1.2 bar?

Quick Reply: Intermittent Boost Problem