Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

anybody have a good tranny theyre willing to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 11:44 PM
bavarian banshee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy anybody have a good tranny theyre willing to sell?

yesterday morning, i hit a pretty big rock in the road and totally screwed my car. i have a hole in my oilpan and it beat the crap out of my cat. after getting the exhaust out today, i noticed the tranny. the case is cracked on the lowest part where the diff is. i dont have a cooler or lsd, so im easy at this point. but i want a good transmission, not some pile of crap.

thanks in advance, take care,
brian
Old 07-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Turbo3Ltr
AutoX

I have an Turbo trans with cooler that i need to
sell . It has 77,000 on it. Iwould like to get
650 for it .If your interested youcan email @
Turbo3Ltr@aol.com

87 951 3.0ltr bottom end Autrnics fuel injection
garret to4 860cc fuel injectors
Old 07-10-2003, 11:59 PM
Turbo3Ltr
AutoX

I also have an extra oil pan .Sounds like you had some bad luck. I've been there before .I launch the head of my first 3.0ltr motor 1 year ago due
to the vacuum line to the wastegate burning up.
it made a nice boat anchor though! haha
Old 07-11-2003, 03:56 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brian

I have a good tranny case in my garage from an '87 951 that had a bad ring and pinion. The switch over should be fairly simple if you've done any trans work or for one who has. If not interested, maybe I'd be interested in buying your trans once it is out.

I also have a spare '86 trans out of a supposedly low mileage car. It's non-LSD but oil-cooler type and I bought it from a Rennlister here in California. I can not speak from first-hand knowledge about it's running shape, but I bought a few parts from Mark and if it is anything like the others I got in the deal, It has got to be great (from same car - long story best discussed over the phone)! Basically, all the other parts I purchased from him turned out so nice and it is unusually clean on the exterior even before I scrubed it down. I'd be willing to trade my '86 for your '87 + $400. I'd even meet you half way in say Las Vegas? I'd be willing to let the case go for $150 and that is OK to ship UPS ground since it's fairly light.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:27 PM
bavarian banshee
Intermediate

matt,

i spoke with my boss this afternoon about welding it or just replacing the case. after hearing what he has to say, and looking at the factory manual, i think im going to switch the case. he thinks it would be easier to weld the case, but wants to do it without taking it apart! that makes me very nervous. we have a few 951 trannys in the back with bad ring and pinions, so ill see how much he wants for a case. but i agree with you, it does look like a straight forward procedure to just switch the differential case. also, there is only one adjustment to make if you just switch the differential cover. after two days of worrying, things are starting to look good. ill keep you informed, and i appreciate the offer!

take care,
brian
Old 07-12-2003, 01:56 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, sounds feasable. Tell me how it goes if you already have a doner. I'd like to know what is involved adjustment wise to do a switch. Email me off list if you like.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:11 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

If you swap out the case you should check the pinion depth, differential drag and backlash. Don't just assume that they will be the same. You could end up with this same post all over again.

But then again you may get lucky and be alright, you just never know.

Quick Reply: anybody have a good tranny theyre willing to sell?