Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Mileage on a set of spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 12:31 PM
Gary AZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mileage on a set of spark plugs?

Assuming everything is running properly. How often do you change out your plugs. I've got about 4k on this set{Bosch). I just pulled them out and cleaned them. Little carbon on the edge of thread bottom and slightly white on contact. Runs a little smoother.

I think I'm running a little rich...what what that look like on the plug.

Gary
Old 10-10-2002, 10:01 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rich would be dark brown to black on the insulator--the ceramic portion the centre contact is mounted on. The perfect color is light brown/tan. A white/grey/very light brown insulator can mean you're running lean.

From what I understand, some cars may only run lean at certain rpm under certain conditions. That may be dangerously lean while not showing on the plugs.

To find that you would have to analyse exhaust gases while the car is running.

I don't know how long plugs will last, but they shouldn't need cleaning after only 4K miles. I've had mine in for at least 15K and haven't done anything to them. Platinums are supposed to be good for a really long time, up to 50 or 100K in some cars.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:07 PM
Stefan
Racer

Peckster gave you the correct colour breakdown. Check your Porsche ownder manual for service interval. I believe it's quite long for plug change. Around 45,000km I think.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:17 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Actually, the plug interval is a relatively short 12,000 miles. However, this is with the stock copper plugs. With a platinum plug you should be able to do at least 36,000.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:22 PM
tecart
Pro

i change mine once a year now, back when i had an oil on the plug issue, in the winter months the oil would harden up causing the car to not fire up after inspection and replacement of the #3 plug
it would fire up right after changing it. The colder it is in your area and the condition of your turbo,motor,seals, will determine how often you should change the plugs, in my case i had to chang the #3 oil prone plug about every 2 months to get the car to fire, now that ive fixed it, i just replace them every november so in the winter im good to go. I go with bosch platinum wr7dp and gap them to powerhaus specs.(lower then stock)

Quick Reply: Mileage on a set of spark plugs?